· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: New....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default New....

0 Not allowed!
    So my brother and I have wanted salt water for a long time. We have an empty ten gallon that we want to be salt water. We are thinking just inverts and maybe a little fish if one would work. I do understand that it is better to start larger but my wallet does not agree with that. We are hoping to do live rock and inverts with NO coral. We are also think sumpless. I'm big on freshwater so I have no idea about good brands of salt water equipment.
    Here are questions I would like answered please:
    How many and how strong should the powerheads be?
    How many pounds of live rock? Also can I start out with some live and some dead and cycle with inverts if I add very slowly, if so what is a good ratio?(trying to please the wallet again)
    What inverts/fish would work that are very hardy?
    Any other equipment would I need besides a heater and the thing to measure salt content? (The name slipped my mind but we have one already and it is a long story.)
    Thanks.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I would go with a least one powerhead and a HOB filter for flow and a to run a phosphate remover, a korila nano and AC30 would work good. I would use no less than 2 to 5 lbs of live rock and 5 to 8lbs of dry rock to cycle the tank. There are many types of snails that you could get and I think a emrald might work in that size of tank but I'm not 100% sure about that.

All of your other questions can be answered in the below stickys. The key to success with such a very small tank is research. As you have already stated, smaller tank a far more difficult than big ones, but not impossible to set-up and maintain. Unless you are prepaired to do that (research), I would suggest waiting to start a new SW tank. I would suggest getting a few good books on the topic before you start getting any equipment

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=76398

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=53460

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=76703
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-28-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So if I did an aquaclear 30 how big of a power head would you suggest?
    Also I'm a little confused about cycling, if I do the amount of live rock and dead rock you suggested, I would leave the rock in the tank running and if would cycle it's self? How long would this take?
    55 Gallon Community
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    1 gallon empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    If you buy uncured live rock the die-off will produce enought ammonia to cycle the rest of the rock. Think of the rock as you would use bio-max filter media in a FW tank. Your basically adding ammoina, seeded filter material (uncured live rock), and unseeded fitler material (dry rock) all at the same time. The time it takes to cycle will depend on the quality of the uncured live rock, way too many factors to be able to predict. Just let your test results tell you when the cycle is done.

As I stated above, I would suggest a korila nano power head

But, before buying anything, I would suggest getting a good book or two and reading up on this. With small SW systems (just like any other type of aquarium set-up), your success is directly related to how much you research before setting up your tank.
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-28-2011 at 03:09 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks i will continue to do research this is by no means a random idea i had yesterday ive been thinking about it and read about it for 4 months or so.
    Thanks
    55 Gallon Community
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    1 gallon empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on what Cliff has advised you on.

Keep in mind that the the HOB is there only for flow and media like carbon or phos and nitrate removers. You won't need the filter floss or bio-media or even the sponge. I run a "low tech" tank myself - no sump, and no gizmos except for an automatic top-off unit which is pretty much required if you go on vacations.

One last piece of advice - everyone always says they aren't going to do coral, then after their tank settles they just have to have them, lol. Do yourself a favour - IF you need to buy anything new (or if you see anything on CL) especially in the way of lighting, do think about coral down the road. We've almost ALL done it - bought something that was "good enough for now" and ended up replacing it after a year.

Welcome to the salty side!
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    We would love coral but the lighting is to expensive.
    55 Gallon Community
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    1 gallon empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the clarification - Mith   A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb   sorry about your angelfish - smaug   Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R   Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    thats why you need to keep an eye on craigslist or your local reef club and pick up someones used fixture.
    Its just a suggestion - it doesn't take much light to keep a few zoas or shrooms, and they add so much to a tank - and you will not be able to resist down the road...a used fixture can be got for the half the price of new.
    20gal long planted community
    5 gal planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know I will but it is more my brother project and he will have it in omaha if we do it and he will live there for 4 years starting in september. so he will have to deside the other stuff im helping and i leave for college next year so i dont want to deal with it myself. but it will always be OUR tank.
    55 Gallon Community
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    1 gallon empty