· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

Default Planaria, flatworm

0 Not allowed!
    I was just looking at my shrimp only tank and this little worm like thing was racing it's way across the front glass. It went down into the substrate and half buried itself for a few seconds and than started to scoot across the substrate. The RCS seem to feel it coming and get out of it's way. How this little beastie got into the tank is a mystery (probably on a plant). The tank hasn't had anything new introduced into it for about 2 months and it's the first I've seen of this flat worm. Does anyone know if it preys on shrimp or is it a plant eater?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    They don't eat shrimp but they do compete for food with them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    I was watching this little flat worm motoring through the tank last night. When it got near a shrimp it would kind of lunge at the shrimp which would dart away. The flat worm would be half upright like it was smelling it's surroundings after the shrimp left it in the dust.
    After about 30 minutes of this going on perhaps 5 times I went and got my planting tweezers. Got the little bug on the first attempt and put it under extremely hot water and then into the green bin.
    So far I have only found one in the tank but I'm sure if there is one, there are more.
    I've had tanks since the early '70's and thats the first Flat worm I've come across. I'm guessing it came from a small Anubis I bought at Pet Smart. It's the only plant besides the Java Moss that I didn't take out of my 55 gallon tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so it's been about a month since I got that flat worm out of my tank. Today I decided to get the snails out of the tank and there were a few more of these planaria on the glass. I used a small brine shrimp net on the snails and got the turkey baster for the flat worms.
    Well after 4 hours it's like a video game. The planaria just seem to come out of no where after I sucked up the ones I could see.
    After searching some on this site I see I have made a mistake in the amount of food I am feeding my RCS and that these little flat worms are the result in over feeding. I can cure that.
    Now as for vacuuming the substrate thats where it gets tricky. I have mainly Fluval Stratum which is very light and easily sucked up besides it makes a bit of a mess when disturbed. The other hindrance would be the small baby shrimp. I know I could use something like a nylon over the vacuum tube but would that still clean enough?
    I also searched for some fish that would eat the flatworms but they would also eat the RCS unless I missed that article.

Besides what I'm doing with the turkey baster and lessening my feeding are there other things I could be doing? How do we vacuum our shrimp tanks?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Bump. Anyone?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep. - Strider199   yes you win a bunny one bad thing tho, you might get many more :P - genocidex   thx for the rep - Kayfish   For your fish 911, - Cliff   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - bignellm   

0 Not allowed!
    I've been looking into the research on this and come across several threads. many of which suggested the information on the site below. In your position, I would cut back on the food and continue the video game method of removing them. A last resort method can be found below.

Seems they also possess traits that are like pond snails. In that they multiply rapidly by either Asexual or Sexual reproduction. In addition, they are like plants and starfish in that they regrow limbs and each cut up piece can become a new worm. At least they aren't parasitical, just annoying.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    If your tank is not planted, I'd also clean the gravel well to get the excess food out of there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link bignellm, I was there yesterday and didn't find anything new. "Annoying" is right." I'm not going to medicate the tank for this outbreak.

The tank is well planted with driftwood so I'm being really careful not to hurt the plants and the shrimp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep. - Strider199   yes you win a bunny one bad thing tho, you might get many more :P - genocidex   thx for the rep - Kayfish   For your fish 911, - Cliff   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - bignellm   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199
    Thanks for the link bignellm, I was there yesterday and didn't find anything new. "Annoying" is right." I'm not going to medicate the tank for this outbreak.

The tank is well planted with driftwood so I'm being really careful not to hurt the plants and the shrimp.
    Seems your on a war of attrition then. Starve the little suckers. It's the kinda fight I'm in with Pond Snails. Got an Assassin, but the guy is just so hopelessly outnumbered. So, I'm trying to starve the things. If that doesn't work, I'm going to Airlift out my Friendly snails and Call in Loach Team 1 to kill em all off.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The shrimp tank also had/has pond snail in it as well. I think I've taken some 30 snails out along with at least 100 flatworms. I thought the flatworms would be taken care of with some good old tap water but after 30 minutes they are still slithering around the bucket. Next trick, HOT water.