· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Chris
    http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...pphp7bgYI2.jpg
    The photo should show that a chunk of his tail fin is missing - on top of that, he's been extremely reclusive for the last couple weeks, coming out only sometimes for feeding. When he does come out for eating, he doesn't refuse food, it's just that he doesn't always come out. There have been a couple times where it had been long enough since seeing him that I was worried he was dead. None of the other fish are acting out of the ordinary, and my water parameters are good - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-20 ppm nitrates. It looks like an injury, but that along with his behavior does worry me.
    How many males do you have in that tank? Any Females?
    If only one female and 2,3,etc males; then maybe the Mickey Mouse Platy came up on the losing end of a fight for the female. I have several Platy in my tank and stupidly told the fish snatcher to randomly choose them from the tank when I started. I got 4 females, and like 7 males... I've seen the turf wars up front with these guys... They've not killed, but seem to chase and nip relentlessly. I couldn't believe who turned up Alpha Male afterwards... A scrawny 1" Micky Mouse Platy. But had to be, as I removed him and the males fought again after a few days. Been trying to undo this male/female imbalance for a few weeks, while looking for certain Platy variations. My last female choice will be a female hi fin lyre-tail platy. LFS has her on back order.

I don't think the Corydoras would do the damage, but defer to others for that fish expertise.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All males, so there's no females to fight over. My wife and I didn't want to deal with them breeding in the tank, and so we learned to sex them before we went and got them. We didn't go with all females, since I'm given to understand that they can store sperm to use later if there are no males available.

He used to be the boldest fish in the tank; the platies were the first fish we put in the tank, and he was out looking around the tank within a couple minutes of being added, while the other two platies hid for a few hours. As time has gone on we've seen less and less of him, though. The change started about when the danios, tetras, and corys were added to the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Chris
    All males, so there's no females to fight over. My wife and I didn't want to deal with them breeding in the tank, and so we learned to sex them before we went and got them. We didn't go with all females, since I'm given to understand that they can store sperm to use later if there are no males available.

He used to be the boldest fish in the tank; the platies were the first fish we put in the tank, and he was out looking around the tank within a couple minutes of being added, while the other two platies hid for a few hours. As time has gone on we've seen less and less of him, though. The change started about when the danios, tetras, and corys were added to the tank.
    Sounds like something got him. It could be Danio nipping. I heard they can take pieces of fin off.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I've had my tank's first fatality; today while I was doing the water change I noticed something stuck to one of the filter intakes - when I got it off, it looked like a chunk of something that used to be a fish. Looking through my tank, there's one black neon tetra that's unaccounted for. I wish I knew what happened - I test each week when I change the water and my parameters are all good. My best guess is that when I pulled out the filter floss from my smaller filter to seed my brother's tank, I may have experienced a mini cycle that killed it? Would have had to have been a very small cycle, though, since when I tested tonight my ammonia and nitrites were both at 0.

When I feed in the morning I'll try counting the black neons one more time and hope for the best; it wouldn't be the first time I've been unable to find one only to later get them all accounted for. At least all the other fish in the tank *are* accounted for.

On the plus side, the chunk that was missing from the platy's tail has almost completely grown back.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can't find the black neon, so I'm going to have to assume that he's dead. That makes me feel pretty lousy since I like to think that my fish are happy where they are - at least, as close to happy as a fish is able to experience.

Even though that leaves me with only four black neons, I'm not going to replace him right away - I don't have a quarantine tank available to me right now, for one thing. I will instead wait until I move and set up the 75g - at the new apartment I'll be able to set up an additional 10g as a quarantine tank as well.

And it is getting close enough to the move (end of October/first of November) that I should figure out what I'm going to stock the 75g with. As I have said, I'm moving over everything that's in the 36g now. Other than that, I've put together over the last two months a list of fish - some that I'm definitely adding, and some that I'm at this point just considering.

On the definitely adding side, I'm definitely adding two platies and one guppy (still all just male). I'm adding 4 panda cory catfish - bronzes have become a little difficult to find around here lately, and the pandas will give my cory 'school' some variety. I plan on adding 6 black neon tetra; one to replace the dead one, and the other five in order to double the original school size. I'm going to add 9 or 10 danios, mostly glofish with a few regular zebras. I had the ratio of what colors to add figured out, and then they had to screw it up by making a purple glofish so now I've got to figure it out all over again. Finally, I'm adding some shrimp. I'm probably going to aim for a total of 30-40 shrimp, with roughly half red cherry and half blue pearl.

Then there's the fish I'm contemplating. I know they're not all compatible with each other, but they should be compatible with what I've already got, with one exception noted below. I would appreciate some input of what fish might be a good fit for my tank, or even suggestions if anyone has any.

One fish I'm considering is an angelfish. If I do get one then the neon tetras in my tank now will end up staying in the 36g, and I'll put 10 cardinal tetras in the 75g to fill their spot. I am not determined to get an angelfish, mostly I'm considering it because they look so unlike anything else already in the tank. If I do not get an angelfish, then I am definitely adding another 5 neon tetras, bringing the school up to 10.

I'm also considering adding 5 threadfin rainbowfish. A local fish store has a tank of them, and I like them a lot better than any other rainbowfish I've seen. From what I've read, they should have no issues with what I've already got.

I would like a group of 6 kuhli loaches - I had initially wanted them more than the cories, in fact. However, from what I've read in the primer in the loach forum, my tank might not be appropriate for them. The water in my area is extremely hard, maxing out the water hardness test each time I've tried it. Also, although my water pH is usually between 6.5 and 7 (with 7 being more common than 6.5), it took my tank a while to stabilize there and for the first several weeks it sat at 7.5-7.6, which is well outside the kuhli's listed range.

I am considering adding a pair of bettas. Females, of course, since I want to minimize the risk of them picking fights with each other or the guppies. The tank is wide enough that I think the water in the middle should be calm enough for them to breathe, even with airstones on the sides. (My other fish seem to like playing in the bubbles so I'm planning on keeping those in.)

I am considering adding a bristlenose plecostomus. If I add one of those, it will be the last fish I add to the tank in order to give algae a little time to grow. Not that that would replace the need to drop algae wafers in there or blanch vegetables.

Finally, I'm thinking about a snail. If I add one, it will be only one because I don't want it reproducing and taking over the tank.

I'd like to ask one final question: since the petsmarts around here are having a sale on heaters, I picked up a 200w one for the 75g today. Should I pick up a second to put on the other side of the tank, or should the one be adequate? (Couldn't, in a pinch, find the instructions on exactly how many watts you need per gallon, so I got the one that said it was good for up to 75 on the package - and the number I'm seeing right now is 2.5w per gallon. But I digress - should I get another heater?)
    Last edited by Super Chris; 09-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd get a 300 for the other end. My 55's have 250 watts. If the wattage isn't high enough, they will constantly be turning off and on trying to heat more water than it can.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your shrimp will become tasty snacks for your fish *L* Specially the cherries, not familiar with the pearls

Tank looks nice
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

0 Not allowed!
    Are you open to a couple tips?

When you set this new tank up, if you intend to plant it, I would start off right and get a plant substrate from the get-go. Save yourself some money by not having to redo it a few months later. Black looks very nice with a black background, makes the fish and plants pop and diverts the eyes to the occupants rather than all the other stuff going on.

Black also makes the cherry shrimp... CHERRY. Their color is more vibrant on black.

But moving in a couple of months gives you lots of time to buy stuff a little at a time like filters, lights, substrate, driftwood, etc, so it isn't such a crush trying to do it all at once.

But take it from one who have moved her tanks 50 times, get all your furniture moved and where you want it first. Nothing worse than getting your tank all set up and finding it should have gone 6" to the right or left, come out from the wall 2" more or would look better on another wall!!!!!

Also, make sure you have it as close to a water source as possible so you can use a python water changer. You'll want one with a tank that large. And keep the lights plugs to the side, not behind the stand! (Another dumb trick I've pulled.)

My two cents worth of advice.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-04-2011 at 05:43 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can you recommend a substrate and somewhere to order it? The only ones I'm finding in the area are gravel and sand. I actually have been thinking about using something other than gravel, or using some gravel and some other substrate.

I had the same idea and have been buying things a little at a time, as they've gone on sale around here. I picked up the filters a little over a month ago and saved about $40 since they were on sale, same thing with the heaters now. Of the 'expensive' stuff remaining, I unfortunately don't think the stand or lights I need will go on sale before I move, but at least I can space those out a little.

I'll definitely take the advice about the plugs for the lights, the ones I've got right now are inside the stand so I just have to open the door to get at them, but I don't think I can do that with the stand I'm looking at for the 75g. And I'll take the advice about the furniture as much as I can, I'm planning on having two days available to move, and I'd like to get the tank set up on day 1 so that if I have to call it a day and move the fish on day 2 it'll be possible.

As for the water changes, I've actually got aqueon's equivalent of the python, the only reason I don't use it is because it doesn't fit any of the faucets at my current apartment. Since the new one will have a laundry room I'm hoping that a faucet in there will work. And if not, I'm thinking of grafting the 50' tube from the aqueon tube to the siphon I use now so at least then I could empty it directly into the drain. Not worried about losing fish that way, either, since the siphon is designed so that I couldn't lose so much as a shrimp through it even if I wanted to.

0 Not allowed!
    Popular ones are Eco Complete or Florite.

I use this one and it's becoming very popular with great reviews. Cheaper than the others and goes farther. All uniform in size.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshw...trate_p/ss.htm

This gravel is in the tank in my avatar. If you like a more sandy type, Florite had a black sand but it's for plants, it's not sand per se. Click on my Avatar and you'll see another tank done with the amazon color.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 09-04-2011 at 11:27 PM.