· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default A different kind of new tank syndrome...

0 Not allowed!
    I finally borrowed a camera so that I can take pictures of my tank, so here it is!

It's got 3 platies in there (one cream colored mickey mouse platy, an orange sunburst, and a red wag), 4 guppies (one turquoise, one yellow, one tequila sunrise, and one blue and yellow fancy), 5 black neon tetras, 5 neon tetras, 5 zebra danios (2 green glofish, 1 orange glofish, 1 red glofish, and one normal zebra), 5 bronze cory cats, and 5 cherry shrimp. It's a 36 gallon bowfront, with an Aqueon Quietflow 30 on one side, and a Quietflow 10 on the other. There are a few plastic plants in there, but most of them are real. Don't think I can identify them though.

The bubbles on the left side were the cory's favorite thing to play with, but now that they're not working, they like swimming back and forth across the front of the tank. They don't swim at the bottom except to eat, really.

The clearest picture I could get of any of the platies. Pity they're not centered.

This is the first shrimp I've seen in days, and it hid itself again seconds after I took this picture. Well, there really aren't many in such a large tank so it makes sense that I wouldn't see them much. At least this confirms that at least one is still alive. Not that I've seen any bodies - I just haven't seen them at all.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    (Last part of the post - which is essentially the explanation of my title for the thread)

Really, I can't wait until I can get more fish. Before you say anything about overstocking the tank, though, that's not what I mean; I have no intention of putting any more fish in this tank, it's already a little more stocked than I originally intended. Rather, I am talking about this:

Brand new 75 gallon tank! While there are a variety of reasons it is not currently set up, the three main reasons are as follows. First, I do not yet have a stand for it. Second, I don't think my 40 year old apartment floor could support its roughly 800 pound filled weight. And third, my wife and I are moving to a different apartment in November and this is integral in my plans of making the move go as smoothly as possible.

Since the new place is still in town, this way what I can do is set up the new tank there, then come back, load my truck with boxes, bag the fish, and move them. Since there will be more than one load of boxes, then on another trip back I can drain the 36g, and then move it. While November is a ways away, the reason I have the tank now is because I got a very good deal on it - it was $100 new, which almost disappoints me since that's what I paid for the 36g new. (*Almost* disappoints me - like I said, I don't think the apartment floor could support the weight.)

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Frustrating! But I think you'll be happiest (in the long run) if you just wait to set it up properly in the new place.

Your current tank looks very nice.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a filter for the new tank? You could pop it on your 36 now, so when you move, it will already be cycled. Just setup, add fish and enjoy. I'm sure you will be busy with enough "moving stuff" that doesn't include cycling a new tank.
    Just a thought.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you do the proper steps your move should be smooth. Like Skip said try and get your new filter on there so it's getting along for when you move. Or if you have or can get extra bio media in your current filters to seed and that will jump start you on your way if you can't get a new filter on there until you're moved.

Good luck!
    27 US gal (20 in w X 20 in h x 18in d)-
    Sand, heavily planted with Water Wisteria and Red Ludwigia.
    One large piece of driftwood and some artificial caves.
    2 female GBR
    10 Bloodfin Tetra

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have the new filter yet - like I mentioned, the only reason I have the tank now is because I couldn't pass up the price; even PetSmart's discount brand 75 gallon was $230. (I got it from a local store, not PetSmart - the gift cards in there are a long story, the shortest version of which is that the tank is the easiest place to keep them where I won't lose them right now.)

I'm planning on buying the filter(s) either when I see it on sale, or ~1 month before the move, whichever comes first. At that point I have been planning on sticking it on the 36g to seed it. The fish I've got (which I got wrong when I wrote it above, it's 4 cories; all the other 5's just got me mixed up) will be a smaller bioload since the tank is more than twice as big. I won't be adding any fish for at the very least 2 weeks after the move since I want to quarantine them first, which gives some more time for the biological filter to set up. And finally, I'll be using Tetra Safestart in the tank, which I swear helped in the 36g; the last addition to the bioload was pretty significant (the cories, neons, and 4 of the danios) but I never had an ammonia spike above .02 ppm (and it, along with nitrites, have been holding at 0 for 2 weeks).

It's true what I've heard, though; once you get set up, the first thing you want to do is get a bigger tank! That, or another so you can try new things; I'm thinking that I want to do research for 6 months to a year and then try a saltwater tank in addition to this giant freshwater. While what I'm finding from what I have researched saltwater is that I think I like freshwater better; however, I do at least want to learn how to do both.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I left for a family reunion on thursday and got back yesterday. Right before I left, I noticed that one of the corys looked like it had been injured on it's right pectoral fin, like a scrape or something. I told my brother, who was coming by once a day to feed them anyway, to keep an eye on it, and when I got home I was glad to see that whatever happened had healed.

And today just before heading out to work I spotted what appeared to be a dead shrimp sticking out of the filter intake. When I get home I'm going to clean it out and see if that's what it is. I hope it isn't, if for no other reason than that would be the first confirmed fatality in this tank. Still, even if it is, I'm grateful that I haven't had any fish fatalities.

The 10 gallon tank we have that my wife was going to turn into a glofish tank is now instead going to become a Betta tank. I've picked up an Aquaclear filter for it since those are the only ones I know of that you can adjust the water flow, and later today we should be getting the fish.

Finally, while we're out, I think I'll go by Petco, which I usually avoid, in order to take advantage of the $1 per gallon sale I heard about in a thread in general freshwater. Specifically, I'll be picking up a 20 gallon to turn into a proper quarantine tank. If my wife lets me anyway.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Whatever was sticking out of the filter intake was gone by the time I got home from work, but at least my wife confirmed one shrimp alive in the short time between me getting home from work and then us leaving to run errands.

Surprise mandatory overtime at work and one of our neighbors needing help moving something meant that, aside from getting the betta yesterday and setting up the tank, I had time for very little else. Even just running to the grocery store for milk and bread had to be put off until 11. But today I had time to take photos, and so here they are!

I've always preferred a more natural-ish looking tank, and my wife's always been fond of decorations. (I seem to be in the minority around here - when my mother visited, she was disappointed that I did not try to recreate R'lyeh in my tank.) The compromise she suggested was to model it after the Naritasan Buddhist temple. So I looked through the photos I took when I visited a few years ago and built something that at least draws inspiration from it. While the tank is in need of a lot more green, I've planted some bulbs which should sprout in a few weeks, and if they do anything like the bulbs I planted in the other tank I'll have all the green I need. The driftwood in the back corner was the only decoration in the small half-gallon or so tank the fish was kept in prior to us buying it. I think it accents nicely - I only worry that in trying to make the lanterns symmetrical I might have made the tank a little too visually busy. As for a background, we haven't decided on one yet but we might just use a photo I took in the temple's massive garden.

Here's the best photo I could get of the fish himself - he is a Black Orchid Betta. From what I'm told earlier today he refused to eat, but at dinner tonight I discovered his trick - he won't eat from the surface of the water, but if the current from the filter pushes the food under then he lunges for it. He seems to like the tank, particularly swimming through the holes in the lanterns and underneath the bridge. This morning before work I saw him patrolling the tank, and I'm pretty sure this is the largest tank he's ever been kept in.

As for the main tank...

Oh no! The plant is dying!
    ... except that THAT particular plant is plastic.

It's covered in brown splotches, and from what I've read here in the forum I think it might be diatoms, although other opinions would be appreciated if anyone has any. I'm gonna look through the forum and try to see what I should do about them. [Edit] From what I am reading here, diatoms are harmless, so if that's what it is I won't stress about it.
    Last edited by Super Chris; 06-29-2011 at 05:54 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    The spots on the plant leave are algae. If they stay dots, they are probably diatoms. If they grow bushy they aren't diatoms. Sorry.
    The cure, is more or less plants, more or less light, more or less fertilizer and Carbon supplementation. Why more or less?

Successfully growing clean plants in a tank requires a balance that can be delicate. More light can help plants grow faster to out compete the algae. Presuming you have enough plants to grow faster than the algae.
    More fertilizer, of the correct balance, will help your plants out compete the algae. Start with root tabs. Jobe's spikes for ferns and palms are cheap and effective. Break them into three pieces and treat each piece as one root tab. Carbon supplements, either CO2 or a product that breaks down into bio-available carbon, will help all your plants grow. Generally carbon supplementation requires more light.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!

While the spots never got bushy and still look brown while in the aquarium, after removing the stump to scrub it my hands looked like I'd rubbed them on a wet lawn, so it does seem to be algae rather than diatoms. After some checking, and getting up earlier than usual, it seems that - although I thought I had put my tank where it wouldn't get any direct sunlight at all, as our apartment hardly gets any at all - the tank does get a sliver of direct sunlight for about an hour and a half every morning, which I suppose could be causing it. If adding more plants will help eliminate the problem, then I might just not re-add the stump and instead put more plants there. On the plus side, with the best hiding place in the tank removed, I was able to see that at least 4 of the 5 shrimp I put in are still alive, which I think is pretty good, since I didn't find out until after I added them that invertebrates won't survive in a tank that was ever treated for ich.

One of the bulbs in the betta tank has sprouted and is growing pretty good. The other one didn't sprout, but I've still got a bunch of bulbs so I'll just plant another.

I'm really worried about our mickey mouse platy. This is the clearest picture I could get of him - he wouldn't hold still, and with me standing up that close to the tank everyone else thought it was feeding time and kept getting in the way of the shot. The photo should show that a chunk of his tail fin is missing - on top of that, he's been extremely reclusive for the last couple weeks, coming out only sometimes for feeding. When he does come out for eating, he doesn't refuse food, it's just that he doesn't always come out. There have been a couple times where it had been long enough since seeing him that I was worried he was dead. None of the other fish are acting out of the ordinary, and my water parameters are good - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-20 ppm nitrates. It looks like an injury, but that along with his behavior does worry me.