· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got a HUGE ehiem canister filter on my 210 its in the next room and I cant hear a thing, not even the overflows. If your canister is making noise that means its not assembled correctly and/or has trapped air in the system. make sure its air tight and you should be able to use the filter for a bed pillow it will run that quiet.

I dont shut mine off ever. I use a wet/dry filter and the canister.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone.

thanks for participation. Well as funkman262 said I rely on Live rock filtration (as it has more surface area to accommodate bacterial community). I use canister filter for physical and chemical to have cleaner tank.
    And yes unfortunately I have told I have super sensitive behavior toward noise! Hopefully it will be quite so I keep my filter on and make everyone happy.

------------------------------------------
    Microorganism are so though, especially in biofilm(which eventually form inside filter). In our lab we had hard time to keep oxygen level low in our anaerobic chamber which meant to be isolated. We had equipment to take oxygen and form water (using H2) but we still get oxygen diffuse in. Now that I hear some say "oh over night oxygen will be over" or "they die" or "it become a ammonia factory" I am not sure I can be agree with those statements.

Microorganism have been around form billions of years, they evolved mechanism to survive harsh condition. I agree that stopping the flow might reduce overall efficiency of biodegradability but I don't see that 10 hours will kill all the community, I hypothesis that turning off the filter should only reduce number of active or viable bacteria for such duration.

About ammonia production, how? incorporated nitrogen must be degraded by some other organism (aka Dissimilatory nitrogen mineralization ie by Cyanobacteria, Azotobacter) Again if "oxygen become low" these organism should slow down too, because they need oxygen too.

Long story short; I think turning off the filter should only reduce the overall long term efficiency. Again I must put it in experiment.

know to become a "nitrate factory" if not properly maintained.
    Could you please elaborate on nitrate production.

Its kind of shocking to me that a biologist has to get a explaination that turning off the filter at night is bad, usually people who have little to none fish keep ask the same question.
    Hello red and thanks for participation. That is why we are scientists! We ask questions!
    Being bad is one thing, and being good is another thing. If we reject "being bad" does not means we can accept to be "good".

-------------------------------------------
    I really want to plan experiments to quantify the effect of having the filter on for 24/7. Are we really need it or maybe we can put timer and have 3X 3hr per day and save energy and get same water quality!

funkman262 I will open a new topic and appreciate your participation for the discussion(as well as all other members)

For now feel free to share your idea about turning off the filter over night.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seavashr
    Could you please elaborate on nitrate production.
    People use canister filters to collect waste to keep the aquarium clean, but that also becomes a problem. The waste remains in the canister for some period of time and is degraded. The waste breaks down to ammonia and is eventually converted to nitrates, hence the "nitrate factory". That's why I said they can be an issue if not properly maintained. You need to clean out the media often enough to prevent the build-up of waste which will continue to be turned into excess nitrates.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats why any disciplined fish keeper would clean the canister when they do a water change on the tank or once a month.

I clean my filters on a 2 week schedule, the wet/dry one week, the eheim the next.
    My 210g alone has over $1000 in filtration on it and I can drink water right from the tank. My 20 some odd discus wouldnt have it any other way.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't use filters on either of my reef tanks so I can't say this with 100% certainty, but from what I have read many people that do use filters on SW tanks claim they have to clean them weekly or find the nitrates start to increase.

That was the main reason for me using only live rock for my biological filteration.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123