· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seavashr

I actually plan to turn off the powerheads too! But again I will keep low number of species to water volume. Do you think the follow of water is that important?

I want to have canister filter to keep my aquarium cleaner(physical removal) and help remove chemical as well. And some biological will be bonus.
    and yes I want to have lots of rocks

You are absolutely correct, because it won't be able to compete with more energetically favored oxidation. But my main idea was to discuss that I don't think if filter goes off,(which basically means you have the same media in filter) over the night "it's bacteria will die" as some believe. I think this reduce the efficiency and capability of the biological filtration of canister. However as it starts next day it will be able to catch up biological degradation of ammonia. What do you think?
    1. Flow is the life of SW set ups (assuming you have corals) corals can go without light for a period but NEED flow, however on the other hand if you have a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) flow is not as important but still a necessity since you'll need to provide the bacteria with water to filter so that they stay alive.

2. When you say you'll have lots of rocks, I just want to emphasize that this is REALLY important lol, the rocks, unlike FW, are not for decoration only (sure it's great to have a well scaped tank) however they hold the breeding grounds for benefitial bacteria as well as the pods and other little critters which will keep your tank clean. So that's the point is that the rock replaces and is more efficient than a filter IME since a filter will just be a breeding ground for nitrates which are fine in FW but can be the single handed death of a SW system (ok maybe not the death but they'll drive you out of your mind lol)

3. However as far as your original post goes to the question of will the BB die if you turn of the filter for a little? Na definitely not, maybe reduce in numbers but it's silly to say if you turn your filter off for the night that it'll completely destroy your BB colonies.
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    But if you are turning it off and on right from the start you will very likely never get a good crop of bb in your filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Well smaug the point is that BB populates the rock much more than the filter, the filter would act as a skimmer (kinda) in removing large debris from the water instead of being the main media for BB
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I understand that.I simply want to make sure the op has a complete understanding.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I actually think of a running an experiment to measure the out come of performance of filter being on 24/7 compare to off over night.

I think of measuring the quality of filtration each morning in two experimental condition (24 and off over night)

As well I think of checking overall quality of tank in long term of each condition?

--------------
    Someone told me that if i turn off my filter " the bacteria inside it will die and others will feed on them and produce ammonia, so you will actually pump ammonia in the morning into your tank"
    I am not agree with this statement but I will do an experiment to test it.

What do you think guys?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think they would die off quickly enough for that to be a problem, but again I don't know that for a fact. I DO know that bacteria can be very robust, surviving conditions that we typically wouldn't expect them to live in.

As far as comparing performance of two tanks, it's not going to happen the way you would like. There are just way too many factors that could affect the performance, and without lab-grade equipment in a very controlled environment, you won't be able to tell if the differences are really due to the filter or if it's because of some other variable(s). You could set up two tanks with all of the same equipment using the same water, duplicating everything as perfectly as you can, and you'll probably still find differences between them.

0 Not allowed!
    I think that turning off your filter at night is plain foolish. Dont really care how much live rock you got, and few fish you have. Its kind of shocking to me that a biologist has to get a explaination that turning off the filter at night is bad, usually people who have little to none fish keep ask the same question.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red
    I think that turning off your filter at night is plain foolish. Dont really care how much live rock you got, and few fish you have.
    Most people don't use canisters on their SW tanks so I'm not understanding your logic here. Live rock is the primary biological filter for many SW tanks. If anything, canister filters are discouraged because they are know to become a "nitrate factory" if not properly maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    Its kind of shocking to me that a biologist has to get a explaination that turning off the filter at night is bad
    And what evidence do you have to support this statement? Very little, if any, scientific research has actually been conducted on aquaria since nobody feels the need to fund the money required to do the research.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkman262
    Most people don't use canisters on their SW tanks so I'm not understanding your logic here. Live rock is the primary biological filter for many SW tanks. If anything, canister filters are discouraged because they are know to become a "nitrate factory" if not properly maintained.

And what evidence do you have to support this statement? Very little, if any, scientific research has actually been conducted on aquaria since nobody feels the need to fund the money required to do the research.
    Yes they usually don't but when you do have one on there, and it has a balance with the rest of the aquarium. You said it yourself, canisters can turn into a nitrate factory so why would you even risk turning it on and off? Which is the main point that I am thinking about now, why risk doing this to a established aquarium that I believe is running well? Is it really worth jeopardizing the fish and the whole aquarium?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It can become a nitrate factory whether or not it's being turned on and off. That happens just from the bacterial aerobic respiration. Turning it off at night won't affect that.

Also keep in mind that the OP already stated that the main purpose of the canister would be for physical and chemical filtration opposed to biological. The main purpose of this thread was to discuss the technical aspects of turning it on and off but me and the OP kind of went off topic discussing the biological aspects as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast