· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default high trates again

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All
    Im getting high nitrates again even after, reducing stock 7 platies in my 20 and 8 in my 29,water changes,ammo lock,rinsed filter cartridges,my next guess is to change out 1 old filter cartidge per filter as I have a whisper 60 in my 29 and a 20 and 40 whisper in my 20 gal . The filter cartridges have been in each filter over 2 months keeping in mind I rinse my filters in used tank water when they are scheduled to be. So can I change 1 cartridge per unit without messing with my cycle and will this help in reducing nitrates My nitrate numbers are 80+ my tap water does show a trace like 5-15ppm
    thanks
    60 gal with 2 tiger oscars
    29 gal with 4 hermit crabs

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried a second test kit? Get a second opinion and go from there

0 Not allowed!
    What's your maintenance routine like ?

How often and how much of a water do you complete, how often do you vacum the substrate, and could you be overfedding your fish ?

I not very farmilar with your filter, so I don't know what the true impact could be from chaning your filter cartirdges. I would be seriously concerned about doing that as almost all the bacteria that you need to keep your tank healthy lives in the filter media. If you are already cleaning the media in old tank water, then changing them likely would not help to reduce your nitrates.

I too would suggest having someone else test your nitrates to make sure you are getting an accurate reading
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    rodm81
    actually I have the api master kit,the individule nitrate test kit and strips also I am very carefull not to cross contaminate my results but thanks for the reply also my lfs associate who is a fishkeeper said no to changing my filters and to be patient as the trates are the last to come down her advice coincides with the forums advice for the most part, She did have the opportunity to sell me a bunch of stuff for this issue but didnt so as with the forum I respect her advice also
    thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    What's your maintenance routine like ?

How often and how much of a water do you complete, how often do you vacum the substrate, and could you be overfedding your fish ?

I not very farmilar with your filter, so I don't know what the true impact could be from chaning your filter cartirdges. I would be seriously concerned about doing that as almost all the bacteria that you need to keep your tank healthy lives in the filter media. If you are already cleaning the media in old tank water, then changing them likely would not help to reduce your nitrates.

I too would suggest having someone else test your nitrates to make sure you are getting an accurate reading
    1 for the 29 gal I do 7-8 gals the 20 I do 5 gals both weekly as for the 20 betta tank 5 gals every 2 weeks
    2 I dont do a big vacume job of the substrate just a lite one weekly and I do mean lite,Could this be 1 problem?
    3 as for over feeding that would be a no I am super carefull I would rather underfeed than overfeed

I will take a water sample to my lfs tomarrow
    thanks again

0 Not allowed!
    It could be.

IME, poor filter cleaning, small / no water changes, and overfeeding typically can cause nitrate levels to increase.

As you are doing a good job with the filter cleaning we can rule out that possibility.

I would suggest increaseing the amount of water being changed. Maybe a second water change at your current amount until the nitrates start going down. Once they have been lowered, increase the aomunt of your weekly change to between 50 to 75%. As you have nitrate in your tap water, I would think changing more water would be needed to lower the level.

Also, I would also suggest a better cleaning of the substrat. I will typically clean about 1/2 the tank with each weekly water change. ANd that is a pretty good cleaning (a little bit of a deep cleaning). That seams to work well for me
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    It could be.

IME, poor filter cleaning, small / no water changes, and overfeeding typically can cause nitrate levels to increase.

As you are doing a good job with the filter cleaning we can rule out that possibility.

I would suggest increaseing the amount of water being changed. Maybe a second water change at your current amount until the nitrates start going down. Once they have been lowered, increase the aomunt of your weekly change to between 50 to 75%. As you have nitrate in your tap water, I would think changing more water would be needed to lower the level.

Also, I would also suggest a better cleaning of the substrat. I will typically clean about 1/2 the tank with each weekly water change. ANd that is a pretty good cleaning (a little bit of a deep cleaning). That seams to work well for me
    I usually do my w\c's and cleanings on fridays so ill add another on tuesdays and also be a little more vigorous on my substrate cleaning ill try to check back in a week or so to let you know how things are going
    thanks for the advice