· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Megs 29g :)

1. Smile Megs 29g :)

0 Not allowed!
    hey, i have got a 29g freshwater that i am trying to cycle. In it there is a penguin 350b power filter, 1 airstone, a heater & thermometer. Also i had seeded the tank, with, established filter media, gravel, and some decorations from my established tank. Currently there are 2 platys, and 1 snail in the tank.

So far we are on day 13 of the cycle, and there has been no spike in the ammonia levels.
    Currently the reading are:
    Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrite: .20ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm
    ph: 8.5 (i know it is a little high)
    Water softness: very soft

I am changing 10% of the water daily, and adding a water conditioner. the fish seem happy and healthy, there are no visible signs of stress, and they are very lively.

I feed them every 2 days, about 3 flakes each, and they always come looking for more. Should i be feeding them more?

Anyways, if i am doing anything wrong, or you have any suggestions, please comment. :)
    -to ask a question, and question its answer, or to not ask, for the answer is waiting for you to find?
    65 g freshwater- 6 oto cats, 5 mollies, 5 platys, 10 guppys, 11 diamond tetras, 8 rummynose tetras, 8 glowlight tetras, and maybe a mystery snail
    5g betta tanks, and fry tanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a question about the softness of your water.Do you know what the kh and gh are? In my area if you have low kh/gh water then the ph is normally under 7ph.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    gh is at about 10, and kh is at about 250
    -to ask a question, and question its answer, or to not ask, for the answer is waiting for you to find?
    65 g freshwater- 6 oto cats, 5 mollies, 5 platys, 10 guppys, 11 diamond tetras, 8 rummynose tetras, 8 glowlight tetras, and maybe a mystery snail

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok, so today is day 14. all of the fish are NOT stressed, and i just did a 25% water change.

Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm
    ph: 8

levels are at about the same as they were yesterday, but the fish are eating, and swimming around still.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it is day 15.

Im thinking about adding 2 more fish on june 25, and then if i do do my total will be 5

the levels are still doing great

Ammonia: .25ppm (never seems to get any higher than this did a WC anyway)
    Nitrate: 15ppm

these seems like good levels, the fish are still active and eating.

I would like to add 1 or 2 live plants. that require little to no additional care, and can live in gravel. i just wanted them to help take in some of the exess nutrience. Would this be a good idea?

anyways, please tell me if there is something that i should change :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    still day # 15, but the water is starting to look a little cloudy, but still no jump in the levels

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some easy, low-level plants you might be interested in are Java Fern and Java Moss. Can't wait to see pics of the tank soon I hope.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    day 17

alrighty! water is becoming slightly cloudy, but that is probably because i vac. the gravel yesterday. also there is green algae growing everywhere, is this bad??

Ammonia:0.25ppm
    Nitrite:0.25ppm
    Nitrate:15ppm

thinking about making a shale caves, center decoration thingy with tall green plants lining the back wall, with blue and purple plants in the next row, and then yellow/ orange and pink in the front row along with a few live plants attatched to the shale deco. what do you guys think of this plan, and what live plants do you think that i should use?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hey, its day 18

i just did a 35% WC, and the tank looks a bit clearer than it did yesterday, so that is good. i was thinking about adding 2 more fish tomorrrow, 2 more platys. is this a good idea??

ammonia: 0.25ppm
    Nitrite: 0.20ppm
    Nitrate: 15ppm

planning on calling a tile store tomorrow to see if they have any broken ones that i could use to make a decoration :)

as always, the fish are happy, seem healthy and are active too.

P.S. please give ur advise about adding fish tommorow. some people were saying that 2 fish anrt enough in a 29g to cycle it. Advise??

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert, but I have a 75 gallon currently day like 28 for me and I've slowly been adding fish cause I too started with just 2 fish! I'm up to 14 fish now, but if you do add fish, make sure you get a VERY hardy fish and if trites or ammonia go over .25, big WC. I have 2 opaline gouramies and 6 danios and 6 corys and they're all doing pretty good so far, but I haven't let my stats get over .25 yet.