· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: filter media

1. Default filter media

0 Not allowed!
    Hey All
    I guess I need some simple answers for this to make sense,
    I use whisper filters for all my tanks they all take the same floss plus carbon cartridge plus they all have the sponge type filter that goes in front of the cartridge
    I have not replaced any of the cartridges since I set up my tanks 2 or 3 months ago, By everyones suggestion I have rinsed them in used tank water all of that being said, I have read that the carbon or charcoal in the bag is worn out
    1 should I dump out the carbon? being that its not doing anything anyway or just leave it alone
    thanks
    60 gal with 2 tiger oscars
    29 gal with 4 hermit crabs

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First off just dump carbon after about 3 weeks.
    Second just to let you know carbon is not needed in an aquarium. I stopped using it about 2 months ago and my tank looks just as good as before and there is no smell either.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    I aggree about not needing the carbon BUT don't let the pad dry out!!! when you cut it open to remove the carbon. That pad (filtering parts) contains all your good bacteria that proccesses the fish waste (turns it from toxic to safe until a moderate water change (WC)) and they will all die if the pad drys. Also, only rinise out the "semi-soild waste using old tank water. Water from the tap (unless a home well system) will kill the bacteria due to chlorine compounds.
    Last edited by Cermet; 06-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would just leave the carbon alone unless you have the ability to remove it in order to put more floss or other bio media in there. Used up carbon is not harmful - just won't do anything.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    The other cartridged he mentioned is the biomedia in a Whisper. Granted there are bound to be lots of bacteria in the floss/carbon cartridges as well, it is not his only media and not the main biomedia.

How long carbon lasts is effected by mant things. The quality of the carbon is a big one, but also the quality of the water. If there isn'y much to take out the carbon will last much longer. So if you haven't added meds, new driftwood, the food is high quality (what are you feeding?), etc. the carbon will last longer.

For the future I would look into a carbonless cartridge for your filter, but that may have to be a DIY cartridge.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

6. Smile

0 Not allowed!
    I got some carbon for my filter but after I did some research I'm not going to use it.
    The master of all things Corydora

10 gallon that will soon have corys
    frequent aquarium forum searcher and cookie monster fan

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the replys,Im fairly sure that I bought a box of filters that you have to put the carbon in yourself I mean it comes witht the floss and the carbon only not put together. Also I have read here on the forum to use the cartridges till they fall apart.
    thanks again
    60 gal with 2 tiger oscars
    29 gal with 4 hermit crabs

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmdj1
    thanks for the replys,Im fairly sure that I bought a box of filters that you have to put the carbon in yourself I mean it comes witht the floss and the carbon only not put together. Also I have read here on the forum to use the cartridges till they fall apart.
    thanks again
    And, when one falls apart, use part of it in or on the new cartridge, to seed the new cartridge. Rubber bands or thread will hold it in place.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    This filter has a biomedia cartridge separate from the mechanical cartridge, no need to hold on to scraps of filter material.
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance and Pet Care Company
    Owner: Web Design Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.