· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Debris in new tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have just set up a new 10g tank for my DAFs. Substrate, gravel, plants, driftwood, rocks. I am using 2 Whisper filters (for 5g tanks, long story) and although the water is clearing up nicely, there is a lot of debris on the wood, rocks and substrate/gravel. Should I agitate the water to stir up and filter out the debris? All the "stuff" is probably from the plantings which settled before the filters could do their job. Suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    You could use a better filter to grab some of that stuff floating around. I use a 20 Whisper on my 5 gallon and that hardly moves the water at all.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dont sweat it. Thats just something that happens when the tank is new or after you move stuff around or plant. It will settle off by itself with time.

4. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    I have a lot of plant debris too. Thanks for posting everyone. You're helping me too.
    The master of all things Corydora

10 gallon that will soon have corys
    frequent aquarium forum searcher and cookie monster fan

5. Default Lighting

0 Not allowed!
    Hey! Thank you for responding to my aquarium debris questions. I might look into a better filter as suggested. Now another question. After tons of research, I have settled on lighting that consists of a T8 fluorescent bulb, 15W, 6500k, full spectrum. (I already had the hood on my old tank and it only holds the T8 bulbs.) While I set up the new tank, I used a desk lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb, 27 watts, 6500k for temporary lighting which looks much brighter. I understand the wattage is different, but shouldn't the brightness be the same at 6500k?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The k rate gives the info about the tone of the light lowere is a more yellow red higher is a whiter lights. The wattage is its output and the cf bulb would appear brighter then the t8 even if the w was the same.

7. Smile Thanks Smaug!

0 Not allowed!
    I think I better understand the Kelvin rating vs the wattage. I can't say that I am not still a little confused however. What would you use in a planted, 10 gallon tank? I just have the two little DAFs and plan to get a couple of tetras just for color. This tank is primarily for frogs and plants!