· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Nitrates

1. Default High Nitrates

0 Not allowed!
    I have not been able to keep my nitrates below 10-20 ppm and wonder what I can do if anything besides water changes? I have 10 guppies in 75 gallon tank and it is cycled with 0 ammonia reading. I have plenty of circulation and filters. I only have rock and few plants in there atm and am about to get 4 agazzi's today so need some help.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    10-20ppm nitrates is still in the acceptable level, but seems high for a 75g with only 10 guppies. how long has the tank been set up and how often do you do water changes and how much each time? also have you checked your tap water for nitrates?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a similar issue but I have more fish in my tank which is smaller than yours - along with answering the questions mommy1 asked, I would ask how often do you feed your fish and clean your filters? I used to feed my fish way too much and found lots of rotting food in my filter tubing contributing to higher nitrates. However, 10-20ppm is fine in general.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try cleaning out the filter (not the media). That's why my nitrates were high. The powerheads and what not were filled with sludge that would be spewed out after a water change. The fish liked to eat it for some reason...
    . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
    ><((((>`..`..`... ><((((>.
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>`..`..`...><((((>

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    10 to 20 isn't high. Check your tap water to be sure you don't have trates right from the sourse. Make sure you have an up to date test kit.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help. I will check my tap water and feed food once a day and they eat it before it has a chance to hit the bottom. I do weekly water changes of 20 gallons and fish have been in there a week. I will check the filter media and clean it and see if that helps. Fish are healthy and have had one batch of babies already. Thanks again.

0 Not allowed!
    Me, too, on the filter cleaning. Squeeze the crude out in tank water you are tossing. High nitrates plagued me for a short time until I started cleaning those filters more often.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tested the tap water from faucet and it has Nitrates so that was part of the problem but I tested tank water and after adding a few more plants it seems to be 5ppm-10ppm now so will just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the suggestion of testing the tap water.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Now I suggest getting a water test from a water conditioning company.Nitrates in any amount are not good in your drinking water and can be indicitave of ground water contamination by local farmland.It can rise significantly during different times of the year. Not trying to alarm you,matter of fact,these hobby grade water tests are notorious for showing things that arent even there.Most of the water conditioning companys offer simple water tests for free and trates are usually included in the basic.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will do, thanks again.