· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grangers710
    I agree to some extent, but I think this is a bit extreme. This puts ZERO responsibility on their end to know anything? I agree that they probably shouldn't know everything about every fish and whatnot, but I don't agree that their only job is to scoop the fish and bag them for you. You should know about what you are selling. does a car dealer just take you for a test drive and know nothing bout the car he's in? Or a Butcher know nothing about the meat in the counter? Or your tax accountant know nothing about what's behind your tax return? Or most important, you go and adopt a child, but the adoption agency knows nothing about the baby? I mean lets get real here. Yes the local high schooler at Petco or Petsmart or wherever is most likely not going to know the breeding habits of every fish in their tank, but they should at least have a clue about things to answer a question. There is definitely a degree of acceptable knowledge, but to take all responsibility off of them, I find a bit ridiculous.

I get the point of your message Lady, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but there is a degree here to this claim. You can't sell a product and know zero about it.
    agree very well said i thought the same thing when i was reading this
    fishguy420

0 Not allowed!

Oh brother. MY post was extreme? He compares adoption of a child to buying a fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Oh jesus. I'm on LHs side.
    The facepalm is enormous.

YOU should do YOUR OWN research and know about what you are to buy.
    If you have seen a fish you like, but haven't heard of, you shouldn't buy it. Or bring a smartphone.

This can't be analogized to the adoption of a baby. I can't go online and google "Adoption number 15208450283475 info" and get "A bit messy, very smart and interactive baby. This baby is up for adoption due to financial problems of the parents. Do not feed peas, or Gerber baby food for that matter.".

Sure, you could ask them for direction "Do you know of a fish that eats diatoms very well" and they point you to say, otos, but you need to do you research on otos, or better yet, diatoms.

Sorry for going on a small vent.
    Thanks LH for the pic(copy saves).
    Its Phillip, not Origami.
    Join the 10+ club

Clicky!
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
    ^Read

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is it odd that I was looking for a like button after reading the initial post?

This is exactly why I did so much research on the internet while choosing what to put in my tank. I won't accept the first the I read as the correct answer either. I will read multiple articles and forums on a topic then assume majority rules.

0 Not allowed!
    No like button here. That's in Facebook. :) But thank you.

6. Default Local Independent Stores

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a small pet store or fish store, try them first. I have a privately owned pet store where they sell LOTS of fish. I told the young lady there I was planning to buy some fish for my fish tank. She actually asked me lots of questions, what size tank, who will be taking care of the tank, am I cycling the tank etc. She also told me that when I'm ready to bring test samples to check out & some of the tank water so she could test it. Apparently this store will not sell you fish unless you prove to them the water is cycled & OKand that your tank will be big enough to handle the size and quantity of fish. Wow! That's what I call impressive. Petsmart and Petco will sell you anything no matter what.
    The Mom and Pop stores are the way to go if possible.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I'm new on this site. When I buy new fish is it safe to use the water that is in the bag with the new fish? Or should I just take the fish out of it?

0 Not allowed!
    jrbirdman92: it would be best to start your own thread to ask your questions.

Short answere: no
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try starting your own thread, but short answer, no.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    lol, good call, Cliff. ;)
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!