· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    according to my lfs manager, a bristlenose pleco can fit in my 10g ? should i trust them because this thread makes me worried
    10g 6 guppies, 4 golden snails.

0 Not allowed!
    Considering the get to around 4" (maybe a little more) and they are big waste producers, I personally would not have one in a 10 gallon.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish...ichopterus.php
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    No...20 gallon long minimum
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Well said everyone!!!! Im extremely new to this aquarium world and had both good and bad expreinces with LFS this month. I did research on forum and textbooks before i even went to any store so i wasnt completely clueless. When i did go this is what happen:

chain store= friendly staff but almost zero knowledge
    Big private LFS w/ 5+ employees= good selection, rude staff, not willing to talk unless u buy.
    Small Family LFS 2 or 3 staff mostly owners= helpful knowlwdge and not only out for $ but concerned with their fish future.

Btw I worked as a sale person in the past selling high end shoes on madison ave, and trust me I could sell anything without any idea about what Im selling unless the buyer did research. Knowledge = power!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    WOW...I have had WAY BETTER experiences at fish stores than you guys. We went to two stores..one chain, one local store, both gave us so much information! I am new to all this and both stores gave my husband and I one on one attention and explained in detail the cycle process...one explaining "fishless cycle" one explaining the "fish cycle". The people were EXTREMLY knowledgable. Whatever they said I went online when I got home and double checked everything. Sure enough they knew there stuff!

I feel very bad for people that don't EXPECT this kind of service and even tell other people NOT to expect it! SHAME ON YOU GUYS! And shame on the people that work in a certain store and don't take the time to LEARN what they are selling!

0 Not allowed!
    Hard to say shame on you guys when all day long we read they have a 10 gallon tank and have been sold common plecos, bala sharks and goldfish for their uncycled-too small tanks.

Fish stores get busy and no one should be expected to tell us how to cycle a tank. Ask them about cycling with ammonia and most have never heard of it altho cycling with ammonia has been done now for nearly 20 years.

It's no more their job than a car saleman teaching us how to drive.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Fish stores get busy and no one should be expected to tell us how to cycle a tank. Ask them about cycling with ammonia and most have never heard of it altho cycling with ammonia has been done now for nearly 20 years.
    I talked about fishless cycling at a mom & pop shop once... the owner looked at me like I'd just grown five heads and said,

"I've been keeping fish for over 50 years and I have NEVER heard of putting ammonia in a tank. Why on EARTH would you want to do that? It'll kill your fish!"

I tried to explain the concept of fishLESS cycling, but she never heard anything past "put ammonia in..."
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

0 Not allowed!
    Not really sure why the Shame is on us when we are the people who help new fishkeepers straighten out the messes that the employees at Fish Stores get them in time and time again. It's what this Forum is about and everyone here is happy to help each other especially the new ones to the hobby.

This thread is needed because many times people walk out of fish stores with a 10 gallon tank and 25 fish that the Pet Store employees happily hand to them and say "add water to the tank, run the filter, float the fish in a bag and drop them in!" Not one word about cycling a tank at all, with fish or without.

I'm happy that you had a pleasant experience at your Fish Stores HAJFish and hope that will be a continuing trend every where but sad to say you are an exception to the rule.
    Last edited by kurly; 02-10-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    10 Gallon: Planted Red Cherry Shrimp
    65 Gallon: Planted South American Community
    30 Gallon: Planted Bolivian Ram Tank

Reduce The Stress....Cycle Fishless!

Awards Showcase

hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 
    Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 
    lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    HAJ,

I am truly glad you found a store with knowledgable staff. But that is not the standard of most places selling fish.

But I find it interesting that even though you got great advice... you still came home and did your homework. Which says to me that you too follow the phrase "Caveat Emptor" aka Let the Buyer Beware. Which is all this thread covered in the first place.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Lucky you HAJfish, I'm glad you have good fish store employees in your area, (perhaps you are one and why you are offended). This thread isn't so much about crappy fish store employees, even though I know there are more than a few posts about that here, but about researching before you begin. That is true for most everything today and with the advent of the internet it really isn't difficult. Before I buy electronics, I research. Before I buy a new car, I research. I know what I want and need before I go to a clothing store or a grocery store, and in a perfect world everyone will know how to properly set up a tank and what fish are appropriate for that tank before they go to the fish store.
    Sorry to have offended you but, as other have said, after you have been here a while and helped new fish keepers save their fish, bought on fish store employees advice, perhaps you will understand our position on this topic.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast