· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    holding a lfs employee responsible for the health and welfare of your tank and fish is like holding mcdonalds responsible because your kids are fat.
    it is your responsibility to learn first and buy later. many of us don't do it that way. is it their fault or yours?
    i have two family owned stores in my city. one is just as awesome as its always been, and the other has gone steadily downhill over the last several years. doesn't matter to me because i research FIRST. when i go into either of these stores i don't ask questions because i already know what to expect. come on people, take responsibility for your own ignorance and stop blaming others because you goofed.
    if i buy a car as is, and its a lemon is it the dealers fault (sure,shame on him for shady business practices) or mine for not taking it to a mechanic to have it looked at first. ultimately i have no one to blame but myself for not researching FIRST. in a perfect world every lfs employee would be an expert in all things fish. but the reality of it is, they aren't and only you are ultimately responsible for the choices you make.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    True, Mommy, ultimately the choice is ours to say yes or no to a dubious purchase, which we can't do if we aren't knowledgeable about it in the first place.

That said, I think if reflects badly on a business that doesn't bother to train and educate its employees at least to SOME extent about the products and / or services that business is selling. To have someone behind the counter who can only respond with, "Duuuhh .... I dunno!" when asked even the most basic questions (not expert ones) makes the whole company appear incompetent, or at the very least, indifferent. If management doesn't care enough to see that their employees can be at least a LITTLE helpful when a customer asks a pertinent question, that makes management appear lazy, as in "why bother?"

And I feel that any person who applies for a job at that business should make it a point to try to learn something about that job, and that includes learning something about the merchandise. Being knowledgeable about the merchandise enables that employee to do a better job. And if the employee doesn't care enough to want to do a better job, perhaps he or she shouldn't be working there.

I know that's old school, but when someone hires you and is paying you, you should try to give them their money's worth. The better job you can do, the more value they're getting for their payroll dollar.

That's how I was brought up, and that's why it irritates me when I encounter a complete know-nothing working at an establishment where I'm shopping. Now granted, I wouldn't ask a janitor about any of the merchandise, because it's not the janitor's job to sell anything. But for those whose job it is to sell and manage the merchandise, it's reasonable to expect them to know at least something about it. I do consider that part of their job, though others here obviously disagree.

Stretching my two-cents worth a little farther ...

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    whether it reflects poorly on a business is irrelevant. if the lfs employee is a fish genius or a fish tard doesn't matter. ultimately you are responsible for educating yourself before you step into that store. yes, i agree, in a perfect world every store i go into will be staffed by the most knowledgeable of people and they will actually make an effort to learn more than i could ever want to know. but that isn't reality. reality is, sometimes you do find a few who do know and care about fish, but most are there to collect a paycheck.

if everyone would take responsibility for their own knowledge and choices and learn FIRST and buy based upon what they have learned, there would be far less threads here about sick and dying fish in an uncycled tank. you can't deny that. you can argue all you want that the stores should be staffed by fish geniuses, and i would wish it were true right along with you. why is it that the sw section of this forum never has threads like this one? its because people are scared to start one with out some research. and when they start that research it gets drilled into their minds that they need to research more. and when they are done a bit more wouldn't hurt. and i will say again, and probably again, if fw people had the same attitude and researched until their brains hurt, this thread wouldn't be posted here either. it doesn't matter if its fresh, salt, brackish, or a pond, ultimately the responsibility is yours alone to make sure you are knowledgeable enough to provide the proper environment for your fish, and no one elses.
    Last edited by mommy1; 06-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think we're all arguing different points of this concept. I think the point has been made. Good sticky topic though for sure.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grangers710
    Well said Brhino....this is the problem with this world. Its all about the $. No one cares cause they know that people will keep coming thru the doors. Maybe not you or me, but someone else. And once that person has a bad experience and doesn't come back, someone else will be coming through. The nature of the beast.

In total agreement. money does rule the world and when you don't have lots to spend no one seems to care
    ~anyone with the internet and 20 min can be an expert.......experts are over rated~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just want to chime in as a newbie setting up a tank to say I do agree it is our responsibility to learn (hence joining this forum and doing tons of research) But I also want to stick up a bit for the stores. I have had amazing luck even at petco (Petsmart not so much!) with really knowledgeable salespeople. I have especially good luck at my small locally owned pet/fish stores. I had sales people spend 20 minutes at a time sharing their knowledge and not because they had to. They seemed very passionate about fishkeeping.

At one store they actually told me they hired one employee just because he was an expert in aquarium plants and another employee because he was an expert on tropical fish.

There was another place that closed down that was all fish..the collective knowledge there was ridiculous.

I think if you go to a corporate big box store, you are less likely to get very knowledgeable people, but I think that the small specialty shops (not just in fish but in most professions... I am a big crafter for example and going to small local craft stores will yield worlds of tips and tricks and knowledge) do try to hire people knowledgeable in whatever they are selling and should be considered a valuable resource.

Of course one also has to remember they need to sell to stay in business so I do try to take recommendations when it comes to large purchases into consideration. hehe.

Jade

Ps. 3 our of 4 of the places I have gone to have asked if I knew about and given me their views and opinions on cycling (Diff. methods) The only one that did not was Petsmart.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As we are just starting a small live fish section in our uk family run pet store reading this thread has been very beneficial to us, we have taken onboard your likes and dislikes and as complete novices to fish keeping your insight into whats useful knowledge and whats not has been very enlightening. Im thinking of preparing some sort of care sheet, with info on the cycle ect, does anyone know of any that i could borrow,any simple guides that we can use to give customers as part of our service package.
    regards Neil

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by amazinganimal
    As we are just starting a small live fish section in our uk family run pet store reading this thread has been very beneficial to us, we have taken onboard your likes and dislikes and as complete novices to fish keeping your insight into whats useful knowledge and whats not has been very enlightening. Im thinking of preparing some sort of care sheet, with info on the cycle ect, does anyone know of any that i could borrow,any simple guides that we can use to give customers as part of our service package.
    It's so great to hear that you're interested in doing your best to make your fish section great!!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    haha give them a link to this forum!
    20gal long planted community

10. Default Support local small business owners.....

0 Not allowed!
    Even though I am a newbie fish enthusiast,I have already decided to support a local fish specialty store. I visited some big box chains before starting out and came away with the distinct impression that they used any worker in the fish section. I asked a few basic questions and was less than satisfied with the answers I recieved. I felt like I had more knowledge after 2 months worth of web searching than the poor kid working in the store.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast