· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default My first Bolivian rams

1 Not allowed!
    Just picked these 2 up! I hope they are a pair, the lfs said he was pretty sure it was a male/female. I moved my 3 female gbr to the 55. They seem so delicate but I love them. I may still try and get a male one more time to try and breed them. I also picked up 2 otos. If I'm planning to breed the Bolivian rams, are the 2 otos okay in the tank with them? Thanks!

uploadfromtaptalk1409431910735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409431910735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409431910735.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty rams!...they'll really color up when they settle in, you should dim the lights a bit the first day

Otos should be fine
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do these look like male and female?

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    That, I can not tell you, sorry...TBH, I'm not even sure if they are supposed to be bought in pairs, or 1m/3f ratio then let them pair and return the others...I do know they prefer a sand substrate, they are "mini earteaters" (mikrogeophagus)

Here's some info for you: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...-altispinosus/
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

1 Not allowed!
    If the tube method is accurate, it looks like I did get a pair!

0 Not allowed!
    Itseasier to tell oncethey settle in and color up.

2 Not allowed!
    Those are very, very skinny fish. Feed them real well for the next few weeks, and maybe treat preemptively for internal parasites. Your efforts will certainly be rewarded. Healthy mature Bolivian rams are a sight to behold. They are incredibly peaceful even when caring for young and non-predatory as well.

The otos will be fine. They won't touch the eggs or fry. My 2 pairs have both learned to recognize them as harmless and generally will leave them alone.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm still finding it hard to sex them. I suppose I'll just wait and see what happens. May get another pair next weekend, but I don't know if my local lfs will take any non paired. I get my rams about 2 hours away from where I live. Surely my local store would take them.

I'd love to have my Germans spawn once I get another male but they're in my 55. I'm certain they wouldn't make it in that tank since it's a community.

I'm running out of room so I guess I need to really decide which one I want to keep and breed. Germans or Bolivian?

I'm still upset my male German died in a matter of hours after doing so well taking care of the eggs. I'll see what happens with these 2 Bolivians first :)

1 Not allowed!
    Admittedly I am pretty biased (having kept 7 great bolivians)
    but in my opinion bolivian rams are much better than germans.
    For one, they tend to be much healthier due to less inbreeding, and because they aren't as popular, tend not to go through the extensive hormone treatments german rams go through. You hear lots of accounts of german rams dying for no apparent reason in well-maintained tanks. That tends not to happen with bolivians.
    Bolivians don't have the gaudy colors of german rams, but at least those colors are natural and not artificially induced by hormones at the fish farms. A healthy bolivian in breeding colors can easily compete with any german ram.
    Just my own (again, highly biased) two cents.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My wife said they're all cheek! Haha I admit they do look funny compared to my pretty German.

Funny thing is 2 of my female gbr are as plain as my Bolivian, but the female that just laid eggs is very colorful.

I'm still thinking based on tubes I have a male and female. Well see if they pair. I wonder how long it will take?

My male and female gbr bonded in about 3 hours.