· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Properly feeding fish for a healthy diet - Need tips on a routine or order of feeding

0 Not allowed!
    All,

I've had my fish for about 5-6 months now and I can say that I enjoy it, still learning to this very day, and hope to expand in the near future. One area I'm not entirely too sure about is how I'm feeding my fish. I know fish should have a variety of nutrient rich food fed to them and I try my best, but I'm not sure how often I should be doing specific types.

Here is what I have in my food supply for them:

Ken's Premium Tropical Fish Flakes
    Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms (My fish, specifically all my loaches go berzerk for this)
    Wardley Shrimp Pellets (Waste of money, I think these are the reasons for the foam build up I see on and off, but my fish do eat these)
    TetraVeggie Tropical Algae Wafers (My loaches like these)
    Aqueon Betta Food Pellets (Thought I was going to get a Betta fish when I first started fish keeping a while back, but never got one. I will feed these to my fish every other week, very small amounts)
    Hikari Tropical Sinking Waffers
    API Algae Wafers
    Dr. G's Marine Aquaculture Frozen Bloodworms
    Hikari Bio-pure Frozen Brine Shrimp

Fresh Vegetable / Fruit I've fed in the past:
    One small cut slice of blanched cucumbers
    Blanched Zucchini Slices
    Small slices of Banana
    Small watermelon slices
    Blanched squashed peas w/ minced garlic
    55 gallon tank
    Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
    Aqueon 30 Power Filter

2 Platys
    4 Guppies
    4 Clown Loaches (Only 2 inches, returning to LFS soon)
    5 Yo Yo Loaches
    1 Rubberlip Pleco

50% Daily Once a Week Water Changes

0 Not allowed!
    I usually feed once a day, in the evening, and normally feed some type of floating/slower sinking fine food and a sinking pellet type, alternating the sinking stuff between algae and protein based ones. About once a week I feed frozen bloodworms of mysis shrimp instead of the regular feeding, and about twice a week I throw in some fresh veggies as well as the regular feeding.

Most aquarium bred fish are pretty non-fussy when it comes to nutrition, and in the wild they would not really stick to any type of routine or a single food source at all (most "herbivore" fish would happily snack on a dead fish given half the chance). So long as you vary it up a little, they should do just fine.

I have never had any problems with Wardley shrimp pellets - all my fish seem to love them and I have never had them affect my water in any way. Just make sure you are not feeding more than your fish can eat in about 10 minutes.
    Also, there is no reason to not feed the "betta" food more often. Foods marketed speciffically for bettas are not that super-different from the "regular" tropical foods - they might have a little higher protein and nutrients to enhance colour, but mostly being a "betta" food has to do with being a small enough floating pellet and not causing bloat that bettas are prone to.

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I feed every other day - that way, they get each of these combinations once a week:

Omega One Color Flakes mixed 50/50 with Omega One Kelp flakes
    Hikari Freeze Dried Bloodworms and Hikari Frozen Bloodworms
    NLS Small Fish Pellets
    Hikari Frozen Spirulina/Brine Shrimp and ZooMed Spirulina Flakes

It's a nice variety of foods and there is never any uneaten food.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"