· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Post Finding the right LFS

0 Not allowed!
    Finding the right place to buy your fish is not an easy task. Most stores are eager to sell you a fish and will readily sell them, knowing the environment you have is not suited for that particular species. There are a few things that will help you find the right LFS for you.

When looking to buy a fish, the first and most important rule is do your research! Research water requirements, temperament, dietary needs, compatibility with other fish, space requirements and any common illnesses the fish may be prone to. Do not Trust your LFS advice or the information posted on the tags as more often than not it is horribly inaccurate.

Secondly, ask questions. With the proper amount of research you should be able to ask enough questions to determine whether or not the LFS associate knows what he/she is talking about. At most chain stores, (petco/petsmart), it is not as common for the associates to be "fish experts" but if there is one in house, they are usually more than willing to get them for you rather than give you bad information. Ask questions about the fish you want to buy. When did it arrive at the store? Where did they get it from? How long have they been getting their fish from that supplier? This information should be known and readily available to you as a customer and is important as you generally do not want to buy newly arrived fish. Go back several times in this case to ensure the fish are thriving and healthy.

Third, quality quality quality. Look at the way the LFS keeps their tanks. Dead fish in tanks is never a good sign. It is unavoidable with the volume they usually keep but dead fish should be minimal. You can generally tell if a fish has been dead for an extended period of time or not. Upon reporting dead fish, the LFS should remove it immediately. Know your diseases and how to spot them. Know how to spot stressed fish and never under any circumstance purchase a fish in poor condition unless you have the proper setup at home to quarantine and treat the fish. In the past, I have asked to buy a fish that is obviously ill to see if they would sell it to me or not. When they began to get the equipment out to snag him, I pointed out the ich and told them I changed my mind. At very least they should have asked if I could treat the fish at home before introducing it to my tank. Visit the store several times to observe how they maintain their fish. They should start to recognize you. If they seem to be bothered that you never buy anything. Find a new LFS.

I'm sure there are a lot more things I'm failing to mention so if anyone cares to add anything go ahead. I think a lot of bad situations can be avoided if a few simple guidelines were more known. I hope this helps anyone looking to get into the hobby and find the right LFS.
    Last edited by riot; 06-13-2011 at 04:05 AM.
    10g - Planted - Male and Female Betta, 2 Gold Mystery Snails, Cherry Shrimp and a ton of Ghost Shrimp.

10g - Planted - 5 Neon Tetras, 4 Cherry Barbs a boat load of snails and Ghost Shrimp

36g - Planted - 4 Electric Yellows, 1 Albino Arautus, 1 Yellow Finned Acei, 1 Male Red Jeweled, 1 12"+ Pleco(ready for a new home. Any Takers?)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    ah nice you made good on your opinion
    the tags might be accurate. with research you might find a lfs that has excellent taging.
    stress in the lfs is quite common and should not be too bothersome.
    lfs (in my experience) dont take kindly to asking where the fish came from but they should be forth comming about the when they got the fish.
    water conditions are good to know and if their fish are used to salt.
    get to know the lfs personal by first name. visit often and ask many questions.
    NEVER be impatient ive been in a loaded fish shop a few times and the staff are always more polite and forth coming to the person who waits. but do make your need for assistance known.
    if you like the fish in a store (kept in good conditions of course) and the info is iffy at best, right the name down research then return. just because the lfs steired you wrong once doesnt mean you have to suffer without a fish you want.
    a good sign you have a great lfs personal is when they hand you the net and say "catch the fish you want get me when your done." granted this seems like he/she is lazy but they might indeed be quite busy. this is a sign of trust that should not be taken lightly.
    keep in the back of your mind "does this seem like its right?" with a handfull of basic info red flags will be thrown.
    look at the food they feed their fish, how often they feed them, and what food they are selling. i havent seen any good brands of food at petco so i dont shop there much.
    throw a wrench in the works, ask about something that has a natural and useualy cheap solution or a chemical and expensive solution. "my ph is horribly low how can i raise it to suitable conditions" (personal question i asked once) if they bring you to the chemical ask about natural, if they say there is none then they are most likely lying.
    if you are cycling a tank ask for some (as my fav store puts it) "frank's specialty bag" basically fish waist. this will boost the cycle. keep in mind many fish stores keep all the tanks linked so look at all the fish for illness first.

finaly the most important thing when shopping for a shop enjoy the wonderful fish you will see.

other thoughts, might be missing some too
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    At one of the Petsmarts I go to, there is someone there employees will get if you have a specific question. Once I was there and a woman was asking how much to feed her fish and the employee said "I never know what to tell people" so I volunteered how I feed mine and how not to overdo it because she had lost some fish. I totally agree that you need to do your own research and ask how long the fish have been in the tank - new shipments bring stressed fish - they all need adjustment time.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I do not ask them any questions! None! I know the day fish are deliveried. If I see a fish I'm interested in and have doubts about it, I come home, do my research online before buying anything. Or I know what I'm looking for before I go to the store. Impluse buying never works!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I do not ask them any questions! None! I know the day fish are deliveried. If I see a fish I'm interested in and have doubts about it, I come home, do my research online before buying anything. Or I know what I'm looking for before I go to the store. Impluse buying never works!
    I was mainly trying to help out people newer to the hobby in finding a reputable LFS. Once you know your LFS you should know when they receive shipments and other aspects of their process. When feeling out a new LFS, I think it's good to ask questions to gauge the skill level of the staff in order to know how to take any advice youre given on things you may not know a whole lot about. Number one rule.. do your own research before any action is taken!
    10g - Planted - Male and Female Betta, 2 Gold Mystery Snails, Cherry Shrimp and a ton of Ghost Shrimp.

10g - Planted - 5 Neon Tetras, 4 Cherry Barbs a boat load of snails and Ghost Shrimp

36g - Planted - 4 Electric Yellows, 1 Albino Arautus, 1 Yellow Finned Acei, 1 Male Red Jeweled, 1 12"+ Pleco(ready for a new home. Any Takers?)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Research is definitely important. We have a petco, petsmart and two non chain stores available to us.

We figured out real quickly that the chain stores were dubious. One girl at petsmart told us if we used an undergravel filter with a HOB filter that we could go 6 months to a year without cleaning our tank. She also stated that we could go a month without water changes. We are really new to the hobby, but not that naive.

But the non chain stores near us pose problems too. One is staffed by hippy teens... They have some cool fish, but I don't trust many of them to be sober. The other one is run by a middle aged couple. Everything there is immaculate, but their people skills are horrible.

We have been reading a lot about fish online. We usually visit just to look at fish, write down the names of any that catch our eye, then go home and look them up. We still ask questions at the store, but we try to verify everything online before trusting what they tell us.