· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Another way to have ensured you kept your beneficial bacteria after replacing your filter would have been to take the media from the old filter and placed it into the new one. That way, you don't have brand new media that has to start growing bacteria from scratch, and you preserve what you already have by continuing to have water flow over it.

Of course,the other way would have been as Lady Hobbs said -- to run both filters at the same time.

I know you were trying to boost your filtration by getting a more powerful filter, but if you lose the BB you already had on the old media, your tank just has to start cycling all over again.

These are things we learn from both experience and reading about what others have learned.

Do keep up the water changes and by all means, get an ammonia kit.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since you're cycling with fish, I'd recommend getting a bacteria supplement product. There's some debate as to how well they work or whether they even work at all. I would say that I had some limited success with petsmart's store brand before I gave it up; however, the best one seems to be Tetra Safestart. Make sure that it's not expired - in fact, make sure that it has at least 6 months left before it's expiration date, as the bacteria in there won't survive forever on their own. It won't cycle your tank for you, but I believe that the safestart helped my tank quite a lot.

Now, if you are planning on getting a (much) larger tank for most of those fish, then rehome the molly, or it eventually will become food for the other fish. However, you are probably better off finding new homes for all the fish besides the molly. As was said, they grow much too large for most tanks. My own suggestion is to keep the molly, and add a couple other livebearers - either mollies, platies, or guppies. I'm very glad someone pointed this out to me, but if you mix genders they will breed like rabbits. I myself didn't want that in my tank, so I went with all males; I hear females are able to store sperm and continue to give birth with it in the absence of males. (Don't worry too much about aggression; without females, there's nothing for the males to fight over. I suppose it could still happen, but I've had no problems with mine.)

After the tank is cycled (Ammonia and Nitrites both reading at 0), then add some more fish that grow to roughly the same size - for me, it was tetras, danios, and cory cats. Might I mention, I originally wanted the tank for neon tetras because I liked the way they looked, but now that my tank is filled I find I like my livebearers and cories better.

Two links that will help. First, is Sexing Platies, Guppies, Mollies, and Swordtails. While the lady who helped me get my Platies at petsmart was knowledgeable enough that she could tell the difference, I did not go in with the assumption that they could and neither should you, regardless of the store you go to. The second link is called AqAdvisor. It's not perfect, but it will give you a good idea as to how fully stocked your aquarium is, and has alerts for a number of issues that could come up with particular fish combinations.

Finally, I would not shop at that shop again if possible. Even if you simply go to a different location in the same chain (if it is a chain) it would, hopefully, be an improvement.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    **Update**

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I was able to find another store in town that was able to work with me on the fish returns. They took in the catfish and the cichlid. The new tank setup consist of several zebra danios, neon tetras, the dalmatian molly, the sailfin pleco, and two apple snails. I also switched a few of the fake plants to live ones (hoping that it helps with the cycle process). I researched each of the fish before adding them to the tank making sure that they would be successful. From everything that I found they will be good and healthy. Other ideas for the future are more live plants, some kind of shrimp, and a school of cory cats. If anyone has any advice of this setup or my future plans feel free to comment.