· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Tank recommendations

0 Not allowed!
    Hi- this is my first post, so apologies if it's in the wrong place and needs to be moved.

I bought a tank and a couple of fantails about a year ago for the kids. Recently, they asked if they could have another couple of fish to go in the tank. I was told at the time in the store, that the tank I bought could support up to 3 fish, and more than that wouldn't be recommended.

I had a quick look online to check whether the guy was being a bit cautious. I was horrified to find that the general recommendation was 20 gallons (~75 litres) for the first fish and 10 more gallons for each additional goldfish. The tank I have is this one. The 14 litre model

Fortunately, both fish seem to be doing OK. Looking at the tank now after reading about how big they can get, it's obvious it's ridiculously small even now- they're about 1.5 to 2" in body size, with fairly large tails. I really wish I'd done more research prior to getting them and hadn't trusted what the guy in the pet shop had told me, but hopefully I've caught the situation in time before they get harmed.

Anyway, given the approximate dimensions, at best I can fit an 80 litre (~22 US gallons) tank where the current one is. Not ideal, but a damn sight better than the current situation. I was wondering if some kind soul could recommend a tank of around that size and an aquarium supplies store, either online or on the high street- I'm in the UK, by the way. The original tank and fish were bought from a Pets At Home store, and understandably, I don't want to go back there. Also, what would be the best way to transfer them once the new tank has been set up and cycled?

Default welcome to the site from the US

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there
    I can answer 1 question I have bought from Fosters and smith live aquaria heres the link
    https://www.liveaquaria.com/
    the reasons I chose them is 1 a friend of mine who has been an aquarist since her teens she is now in her 50s had suggested it. 2 I had called their help line and asked a bunch of questions which I compared to answers on this forum and they were dead on, there is a delivery charge so its not gonna be cheap unless you go in on an order with a friend and split the shipping and handling
    as for transporting im not sure I understand the question but if your wondering how to transfer from the old tank to the new tank, my 2 tanks are about 3 feet apart I just netted them and put them in the next tank no bags or acclimation but the tank I moved them into was cycled and same temperature as the first. I got this answer right here on the site
    I hope this helps and good luck
    Russ
    60 gal with 2 tiger oscars
    29 gal with 4 hermit crabs

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi- thanks for the advice on transferring, I was wondering if you had to introduce them slowly to the new tank in a similar way to when you first bring them home from the pet shop.

Thanks for the link as well, I live in the UK though, so won't be able to use them. After a look round last night, this site looks pretty good, and I'll go for something like this.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    Remember -transfer the filter and no new media! All the critical life support bacteria (really, aquariums are very much like deep spacecraft in how they support fish in our alien environment!) so the new tank does not undergo a required cycle and spike the fish waste products!

0 Not allowed!
    If you moved them from one tank to a new tank, how was it cycled?

The bacteria in that 3 gallon will not be sufficient to cycle a 22 gallon tank. It will "help" but that 3 gallon would barely have enough room for much bacteria growth. Your friend who has had fish since a teenager thought 3 gallons was large enough for goldfish? Perhaps they need to join here, too. LOLOL Please do not add anymore goldfish. Two is plenty in 22 gallons. Not enough space still IMO.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    If you moved them from one tank to a new tank, how was it cycled?

The bacteria in that 3 gallon will not be sufficient to cycle a 22 gallon tank. It will "help" but that 3 gallon would barely have enough room for much bacteria growth. Your friend who has had fish since a teenager thought 3 gallons was large enough for goldfish? Perhaps they need to join here, too. LOLOL Please do not add anymore goldfish. Two is plenty in 22 gallons. Not enough space still IMO.
    Was this addressed at me? If so, I don't really get it. I haven't bought the new tank yet and the person who told me the 3 gallon tank was suitable for up to 3 goldfish worked in the pet store I bought it from. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends who keep goldfish, otherwise I wouldn't have made such a mistake.

I'm certainly not planning on getting any more fish and I'm looking to see if there's enough room to squeeze in a tank larger than 80 litres. We might be able to get a 100-110 litre one if we rearrange the room, which would be better for the two of them.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some good news (for the fish, if not my bank balance....).

I explained to my wife how harsh it was to keep the goldfish in their current tank, and she's agreed to partially re-arrange our living room which means there's enough room for a 125 litre Fluval Roma tank.

A couple of extra questions, if I may-

I like the idea of an external filter, and was thinking of the Fluval 205. I take it this is sufficient for a 125 litre tank? Also, does anyone have any idea of the likely running costs in terms of replacement filter media for this or a similar filter?

I've got two options when transferring the fish- leave them where they are for a few extra weeks while I do a fishless cycle on the new tank, or putting them straight into the new tank and setting up the cycle with them present. Neither seems ideal, but I was wondering which would be easier on the fish?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a fluval 305 on my 46 gal. Cannister filters are very nice but you need to get a filter that is adequate for double the size of your tank (ie- filters up to 40 gal for a 20gal tank) - first of all, there is no need to replace any media (unless it's falling apart) because you will lose your beneficial bacteria and the tank will go through another cycle. Eventually if you choose to replace some of your media, it should never be replaced all at one time - but you shouldn't worry about that at this point.

The sponges (mechanical filtration) just need to be squeezed out in used tank water (that you have siphoned into a bucket) monthly and the biological media (rings) just rinsed in the same thing if they look really cruddy - I usually use 2 buckets of tank water to get everything clean. There is also no need to use charcoal unless there is a smell in the water or you have used medication and need to remove it.

2nd - better to leave your fish where they are until the new tank cycles - much easier on the fish - unless someone else on this forum thinks otherwise - because it is faster to cycle without them there. You can look in Lady Hobbs' signature for the article on cycling without fish.
    Last edited by imma24; 06-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Smashing, thanks very much for the advice.

From reading around, it appears that the Fluval Roma tanks have been redesigned and the Fluval external filters now no longer fit without sawing out larger holes in the tank lid. I'll see if the store can recommend a higher capacity filter that would fit and avoid the need for extra handiwork.

I've read both cycling links in Lady Hobbs' signature and will go for the fishless route as suggested. I take it there's no problem in placing plants in the tank during the cycling?

Hopefully, I'll have some nice before and after pics in about a month's time :)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I take it there's no problem in placing plants in the tank during the cycling?
    I didn't have any problems having plants in the tank while I cycled. It was recommended to me (by someone in this forum, but I can't remember who, maybe Cliff), that I not add plants mid-way through the cycle. It might throw off your readings a little bit. TBH, I liked having the plants in there while I was cycling. It didn't just look like a box of water that way.
    20 Gal - 1 Dwarf Flame Gourami, 5 CoryCats (3 Green Laser, and 2 Bandit), 6 Assassin Snails.