· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How to get my Frontosa UNscared of his food

0 Not allowed!
    I have this Frontosa (He's a year and a half old and approx 4 inches long and has a 20 gal tank to himself.) and he's real cool and all that but he has this really annoying habbit. He's scared of his food. I use Cichlid Staple large pellets. They float on the top of the water. In the begining everything was fine but somewhere along the way he decided that his food was evil or something and now is scared of it while its floating on the top. He'll approach it real timid like, maybe nudge closer, act like he's going to eat it...and then change his mind and swim away. He repeats the process several times. If he gets hungry enough he'll eventually grab it and then shoot down and across the tank like a rockett...sometimes smashing into the other side. Yes, he did hurt himself once doing this...put a gash on his head. In fact I've had to remove all but the plastic plants and his clay pot house to limit what can hurt him in the tank. In addition to that...and help him from NOT killing himself ...what I end up doing is wait till the pellets get wet and then squish them so they'll sink down. Then he'll swim over and eat them without a problem. Sometimes though, he'll swim up to the top while I'm squishing the pellets, grab one..and then shoot back down in a flash. The result of this is a small wave coming up and out of the tank that gets everything all wet. In other words i'm practically hand feeding this fish and frankly I dont have time for this every night and getting quite bothered with the process. Sometimes I tell him..."OK theres the food. If you're hungry...go get it." But most of the time he wont. Or if he does, I'm likely to hear a "Thunk" after a while. Couple of times he didnt eat for two days...until I "fed" him again.

My other fish eat the same food and dont have this problem so whats up with the Frontosa and how do i get him UNscared of his food?

Thanks
    John

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm, thats an interesting one ya got there. Try different foods, try some flake and see if he's okay with that since it floats and falls. see if he trips out over that and then put both foods in and start lowering the amount of flake until he has no issue's with the staple. Good luck man.
    "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, I would try changing up the food. New Life Spectrum makes a cichlid formula. I haven't tried it, but I use some of their other stuff and it sinks if you just hold it under the water with your fingers for a second.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps he'd like a sinking pellet better. I have blood parrots that will not eat any floating food. It has to sink for them to eat it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Perhaps he'd like a sinking pellet better. I have blood parrots that will not eat any floating food. It has to sink for them to eat it.
    Do you use massivore sinking pellets? those are so expensive! $60 for a 2.2lb bag, its all some of my fish and turtle will eat, as the owner of my LFS said to me, massivore is like crack, once they taste it, its all they'll want.
    "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    my fronts will ONLY eat sinking pellets. I use "hikari gold sinking". it's a purple bag.

since fronts come from deep waters, they would never eat off the surface in the wild. some people say fronts can get 'float' from taking in too much air when eating from the surface, but it's not 100% proven fact. I would just switch to a sinking pellet.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've got a 6" frontosa that eats floating cichlid pellets from the surface of the water...he rarely goes for the sinking massivores i feed the ripsaw cat.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you could try actinic lighting. i've found that it helps my fronts feel more at home.

and as said above. New Life Spectrum sinking pellets will probabbly do the trick. its what i feed and my frontosa's love it!
    20 gal-QT
    30 gal long-peacocks
    50 gal-baby frontosas
    55 gal-albino zebras & blue zebras
    180 gal-future home for fronts

Awards Showcase

Wishing You the Very Best for the New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year - Celtic Fins Happy new year! - Brookfish happy new year! - The Red Severum All Sailors love coffee - jbeining75 
    Sailor - Brookfish cheers bud! - Crispy Happy Birthday bud! - Brookfish thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat congrats on motm - Lab_Rat 
    Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the nomination - Cliff Merry X-mass, and thanks for all of your help this past year, both here and at the store - Cliff No Message - cer Thanks for the rep - Cliff 
    thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra Happy Birthday - KingFisher thanks for the rep:) Zebra pleco for you! - Northerly Merry Christmas - Cliff Just a Thanks! - Plecos 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    All my fronts devour the nls formulas and they sink.
    Sailor

Aye Aye

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    This thread was started 8 months ago FWIW
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails