· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Breeding Beginner Help.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm trying my first attempt at breeding gourami's. i have a gold female and a male opaline. i'm having trouble though and i don't know what i'm doing wrong. i only have a 5 gallon tank which i know should be bigger. ph is around 7 and temp is 30C. i have a few live plants with an upturned clay pot and a styrofoam cup cut in half on the surface. I put the female in there on her own for a week feeding her brine shrimp and blood worms and she has started to show signs of swelling. i introduced the male to the tank 5 days ago but nothing seems to be happening yet, no bubble nest. am i being impatient or is there more i should be doing? or are they not compatible and how would you tell?

any advice would be much appreciated as i really want to succeed.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    5 gallon seems extremely small for gourami's that get around 6" at adult size. I would suggest a bigger tank and maybe they haven't matured enough yet to breed...
    "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah i noticed that most forums suggest a 10 gallon minimum but i have to wait until i find room for a bigger tank. the gouramis are around 3-4 inches. the male has gone really dark and the female is swelling but no action. how do you know when they are mature?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    here man check this out, I really hope it helps because I'm not the most knowledgable on gourami's... http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/gourami/breeding2.php and http://aquariumlore.blogspot.com/2006/03/gourami.html
    "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do not breed two Three-spot Gouramis in a five gallon.
    Even one Three-spot is a bit cramped in even a twenty gallon.
    So how are you going to deal with the hundred babies they'll pop out even if it is successful?
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.