· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another plant for your tank - Cliff   

Default Another feeding question...

0 Not allowed!
    Just been reading the recent posts on feeding plecos, sorry to add another one.

I got a BN three weeks ago - the kids have named him Igor. He is about 4inches. I'm a little concerned about him getting enough food.

I drop an algae wafer into the tank every 2 or 3 nights - they haven't been touched in the morning and the other occupants will eat them during the day.

I've added zucchini, cucumber or sweet potato twice a week, tried both blanched and unblanched. Not touched. (Perhaps he needs more time to recognise them as food.)

He doesn't seem to be wasting away, so I hope he is getting enough algae from the tank. The tank is only 9 weeks old, but some of the wood, a couple of decorations, and a couple of plants (including an annubius with pretty big leaves) came from my first tank, and so have algae on them.

But anyone have an idea how much BNs eat? I read about them devouring their favourite veggies etc., but haven't actually seen any evidence of Igor eating anything - veggies or pellets or algae off objects.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Don't like to see 0 replies (at least on my posts!!) -so...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodgeman
    But anyone have an idea how much BNs eat?
    Three weeks on. Only ones touching the veggies are the amano shrimp - their favourites are zucchini and carrots. Algae wafers (every 2-3 days) show slight evidence of being nibbled in the morning, not sure who is responsible, but if it is the BN he is barely taking anything (perhaps 10-20% of one).

Hardly any flake food makes it to the bottom.

I guess whatever algae is in the tank (can't really see much) is enough to keep him going. You'd think (or at least I do) a fish his size would need quite a bit of algae to sustain him, even if he isn't a very active fish (during the day at least).

Is this the norm with plecos?

I figure he'd eat veggies and wafers if hungry, but I want to be sure he is getting enough...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    My pleco took a few weeks before the realized the veggies were food. Give you guy a little more time. As long as his stomack is not sunken, he should be getting enough food

Keep trying. He'll figure it out
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Goldfish people need goldfish gifts! - Xavier   For being a concerned owner. I hope your pleco is going to be ok. - gabbyguppy   Great job on the surgery. - MCHRKiller   Good job with Peru! - johndoe222   Thank you for all the nice comments - Sirex   

0 Not allowed!
    mine took some time to figure out that zuchini was food I ended up putting a new chunk or slice of zuch in the tank every night for, i can't remember, it may have been a few weeks & he got the hint.

maybe try the same food every night for a few days or a week - it can waste a bit - but if it gets the BN to recognize the food it'll be worth it

have you tried spinach? if u have a veggie clip, clip a few spinach leaves plecos love spinach too
    How To Do Fish Surgery
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=74480

When 'How to do Fish Surgery' gets 1000 views do I get a prize?!!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'll certainly keep adding the veggies - I'll give the same thing a try for a number of nights straight and see if he gets the idea.

Not tried spinach leaves - do you add them as is, or blanch them? ...can you blanch them or would they just shrivel... one way to find out I guess!

Thanks