· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: My first Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

Default My first Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    After 30 plus years of keeping aquariums I have finally choosen a pleco. The 55 gallon tank has been running for a few months now with an assortment of tetras and a pair of GBR's with a Red Tailed shark. It is mainly planted with Anubius and Amazon swords (I gave up on stem plants). The tank has two filters, a HOB and a canister.

Here is my choice of pleco, Chaetostoma milesi or 187a, spotted rubber pleco. I have noticed the pleco is hanging out near the HOB intake. I guess this is because this species likes a current. I feed the general population flakes, tubiflex cubes, algae waffers and shrimp pellets. There is a bit of algae growing on my plants and a bit on the slate I have in the tank.
    Being I'm new to pleco's and there are folks here with a ton of experiance, what should I feed this new addition which will make it feel at home? What veggie works well without fouling up the water?
    Thanks in advance.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new addition.

The veggies I feed mine are zucchini, cucumber, and watermelon. I think all veggies will fowl up the water if left in long enough. I only leave veggies in the tank for 12 to 18 hours. It took my plecos a while to catch on to the fact the veggies I put in the tank was actually food. Now they eat it like they have gone for months without food

I also give them the occasional algae wafers and a few large sinking pellets
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you Cliff for that advice. Time to raid the fridge. hehehe

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well apparently a shaving of cucumber mounted on a pair of toothpicks so it sits like a plant leaf, gets totally consumed over night by who ever is doing the eating. I've seen the Red Tailed Shark at it, the Panda Corie's, the German Blue Rams, but nobody hits this veggie like my rubber lipped pleco. The cucumber was down to just the skin the next morning. Oh and by the way I couldn't find the pleco until the day after the cucumber was totally eaten.

Thank Cliff for the reinforcement. Not only does the pleco enjoy the fresh cucumber but a few other residents enjoy it too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    That's great news.

I'm glad to hear your pleco is eating his veggies.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congratulations, plant identifier! - Brhino   

Default Pleco's

0 Not allowed!
    I feed my L81's/LDA 31 and clown (dont know his number) zucchini and cuc. Haven't tried watermellon but keep getting reports that they love it!

My guys are also wood eaters.. so i keep a bunch of DW in there as well.
    eRoc