· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My betta bulb plants look sick

0 Not allowed!
    I was so excited to see them sprout and start growing, but now they both appear to be turning a brownish color. I know my water is hard, but I'm still cycling my tank (about 24 days new). Should I get some fertilizer for them? Will this throw off the cycling of the tank? I have a betta living in it already. He seems to like the plant. I've caught him lounging in it, but he also ate one of the sprouts.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's Bernie lounging in one of the plants. Sorry it's not clearer, but you can kind of see how brownish the plants have become.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...ebernie005.jpg

He's quite a ham. He loves having his picture taken.
    Last edited by bettamom; 05-23-2011 at 10:35 PM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything I have heard about these Petco products tells me that they are not worth the small cost of them; here is a thread on them. I was once tempted to purchase them but I did not and now I never will; I suggest you try to get your money back from Petco and I also suggest you not ever again purchase living supplies their again (IMHO, Petco is great for basic budget supplies, as is true even more so with Petsmart and its economical Top Fin products.)

About your tank cycling: Everything I have heard on the forum and at my local aquarium store tells me that plants are basically harmless, at worst slightly protracting of, the cycling process and often actually speed up cycling by removing ammonia from the water. Another thing about cycling is that I have only cycled once: with my 260 L (70 gallon) aquarium; my 40 L and my new paludarium were cycled more or less instantly by saving water from the big aquarium that I took from a water change and putting it in the aquarium; so, if you already have an aquarium that can spare at least most of the tank to be cycled's necessary water from a change, I suggest you do that... just test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels about an hour or so after to be safe.

About Aquarium Plants: How many litres is your tank? This is very important for the health of your betta and for knowing what types of plants are a good idea: Try some Anubias, some Java fern and some Java moss, some Crypts (though be warned that it will loose its leaves via Crypt melt shortly after you get it, though it will gain them back eventually) as well as trying a Crinum (I have had no experience with the African Onion plant but I would love to get one (via the post); I have had success with the Thai Onion plant of the same genus, however) if it is at least 30 L.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Omi256; 05-26-2011 at 12:47 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I only have a 2.5 gallon tank. Where do you usually buy your plants? I haven't really looked for other fish stores and have shopped only at Petco and Petsmart. I think the only other fish supply place locally is for saltwater fish, but maybe I'm wrong. I guess I should stop by and check it out.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am lucky enough to live within cycling distance of a huge aquarium store, one where the staff know and respect their livestock and myself well; in your case, I suggest to you two options.

The first would be that you travel to a nearby major city with an aquarium store via researching on the internet "[Insert City] aquarium store(s)", decide which one(s) are best from their websites and then go and get the plants you wish; BTW, plants can last for many hours in the store's bag without issue, almost certainly longer (Though I cannot be sure as I have never had to deal with a long trip with any aquarium plants), so do not worry about this.

If you are in a very remote area or lack the time or resources to travel to a distant major city's aquarium store, you should go online and get some aquarium plants; I must say that I have only once purchased livestock (Annual killifish eggs) over the internet, thus I am not sure as to the best websites to purchase from.

Finally, I would advise that you try if at all possible to not purchase livestock from Petco or Petsmart; in my experience, these stores are good only for saving money on supplies but take such poor care of their livestock that it is never worth the cost to get fish, plants anything else living from them.

I hope I helped!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a f/u: I started feeding my Betta more and also have added plant food to the tank and the bulbs are starting to send out new sprouts and my Betta isn't picking at them like he was. I think he was just hungry.