· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Isn't it that the rummynose (very funny name;)) (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) was hiding beause he was alone? You see that most of the time by fishes who swim in a school (in nature).

And, isn't it that a blue crayfish only eat fishes wich are weak, ill or death?

(sorry again for my English)
    Last edited by Scalare; 07-23-2007 at 08:18 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one?"
    C.S. Lewis

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash
    honestly i don't know why i got them. i think i got them just to have something colorful and playful in the tank. either way...

it's a 55 gallon tank and i figure with 8 neons and 6 rummynose that they should take up somewhere around 14 gallons of the tank...the lobster should bring the total up to around 20 gallons so in reality i do suppose that i have the room for 5 tiger barbs taking up at full grown somewhere near 15 gallons taking my total to 35 gallons.

the sunset gourami's look similar to the yellow/blue rainbows that i was trying to put in the tank. they arrived to my door dead so that's why they aren't in there. but i must say that LiveAquarium.com did do well to refund me my money on the dead fish with just a phone call to an 800 number. props to them for good customer service.
    Try to stay away from that gallon/inch general fish rule.
    And barbs are a little more aggressive fish but in a tank so big you might not have as many problems.

Also, a good thing to know is your fishes color has to do with its health. Really bright and vibrant= really healthy.

And like GM said, don't just force yourself to get certain fish because they are all you can get. It is worth waiting and being personally satisfied with your tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalare
    Isn't it that the rummynose (very funny name;)) (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) was hiding beause he was alone? You see that most of the time by fishes who swim in a school (in nature).

And, isn't it that a blue crayfish only eat fishes wich are weak, ill or death?

(sorry again for my English)
    yeah i'm assuming that he was hiding because he was alone in the tank. not sure about the weak/ill fish. i think they will eat whatever they can catch if they are hungry.

just out of curiosity...why is the gallon per fish rule not a good one to go by?

0 Not allowed!
    Some fish are an inch long by an inch tall by an inch wide some are and inch lonch X 1/4 X 1/8 the first is going to produce more waste

Some fish (like goldies) are dirtier than others

Some fish like tiger barbs / bala sharks are very active and need more space because of that
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A rule which we use: A fish must can swim 6 to 8 times his own (adult!) length. That is not then with litres/gallons but with the dimension of the tank.

Witch goldfish you can buy a stronger pump instead of a larger tank?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one?"
    C.S. Lewis

0 Not allowed!
    Larger filter AND larger tank is really necessary for the goldfish. You need the water volume and the filtration as most goldfish can grow quite large.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    let me clarify...i was groggy when i wrote the last one.

i'm not doin a "1 gallon per fish" thing. i gravitate more towards "1 inch per gallon." larger fish obviously need more room and since i'm working with smaller fish this time, instead of my bala shark and tinfoil barb like last time, i haven't been AS worried about room.

0 Not allowed!
    For clean, smaller fish, the 1 inch formula is at least grossly accurate, but ONLY to a very small list of fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i happened to go by a LFS today the next town over and they had rummynose tetras in stock so having been about a week and my ammonia levels in check i picked up 5. they are smaller than the one in the tank already but it's okay because after only 15 minutes free swimming they had their color returning after transporting and were schooling nicely together.