· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    What all are you testing?
    If you are still getting ammonia/nitrite readings, then there's no need for water changes.
    Pretty much only need to do water change just before stocking, to do that last nitrate drop.

(*Fry'em! lol)
    20gal long planted community

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have to agree that frying them seems like an interesting method. What's the worst that can happen?
    Aaron

DIY Moonlights

Learning is like rowing upstream: not to advance is to drop back. ~Chinese Proverb

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    On the subject of Ammo and 'Trite, here are todays readings:

Salinity: 1.022-1.024
    PH: 8.2-8.4
    Ammo: 0ppm
    Trite: 0ppm
    Trate: Appears to be still 20-40 ppm.
    Phos: 0.5ppm

A little concerned about my nitrates.
    C'est la vie.

4'x2'x2 Tank: 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Pink Tailed Shrimp Goby, 1 Goby of unknown species, 2 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels, 1 Blue Tailed Wrasse, 1 Percula Clown.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Really hate giving you guys horrible quality pictures, but my tank has cleared up very nicely since yesterday and I thought i'd share.

This is one of two shots, on the 'night' setting on my camera. I have horribly shaky hands, so this is the best I can get on that setting.

And this is the second shot on my camera's normal setting.

My little red hermit crab is zooming about the tank and climbing on everything. That pile of rock will probably be shifted and made more stable when I get more live rock, and most of the tiny peices on the bottom of the tank I'll probably remove before the substrate goes in. It's looking very clean and I'm very happy with it!
    C'est la vie.

4'x2'x2 Tank: 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Pink Tailed Shrimp Goby, 1 Goby of unknown species, 2 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels, 1 Blue Tailed Wrasse, 1 Percula Clown.

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear you addin more live rock. Most people use the rule of thumb for 1 lb per gallon

Don't forget, adding live rock can give you a mini cycle. I would add the rock before you add anything else
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Very good feeling when things settle and look better...

If you are going to add more rock, don't worry too much about your nitrates. Like Cliff says, more rock will likely trigger a mini-cycle.

You might want to hang on to those smaller peices you are thinking of removing - rock rubble is good for the sump, if you don't want it in your display, plus might be handy for down the road when you have made the jump to corals. Plus it is part of filtration as well, and you don't really want to be reducing that.
    20gal long planted community

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My sump is filled with LR fragments as the filtration media, lol. But yeah, that's a great idea! I might do that instead of ditching them.

And yeah, much more liverock is going to go into the tank. Hopefully I can get some good pieces from my friend as he merges his two 4foots into his 6foot tank, his LR is amazing and has been in his tanks for about four years now. I doubt I can get some substrate from him, but I'll see if he's willing to part with some.

My plan is to get more rock and some good quality substrate, then some hermits and peppermint shrimp. I'm about 60% sure the crab I have in my tank right now is an emerald crab, but I'm not really certain. I'm looking at getting some snails to help keep the substrate and the LR clean and nice, but I'm not sure how many of them and hermit's I'm going to have to get. But that's a bit down the road yet!
    Last edited by VenusTheMagicalCrawdad; 05-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    C'est la vie.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today's tests:

Salinity: 1.022-1.024
    PH: 8.4
    Ammo: 0ppm
    'Trite: 0ppm
    'Trate: 40-80 (Oh dear)
    Phos: 0.5ppm
    C'est la vie.

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind, once you add more live rock, you should be able to grow more the bacteria that eats nitrate and converts it to nitrogen gas. That's one of the differences between fresh water and salt water aquariums. No need to panic right now. A smaller (30%) water change before adding the new live rock should be all you need to do.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....gen_Cycle.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Well said Cliff...

Crawdad make sure you get the rock in there sooner than later since it'll add more surface area for the benefitial bacteria to colonize on. Also if you add too much rock it could set you back completely to the start again. If you have too much rock and too much of a die off and it could be too much for you existing bb posibly setting you all the way back to the starting block. Not saying that will definitely happen but just saying that you should keep it in mind lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown