· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okay! Good news and not-really-bad-but-not-good news!

Good news: Guess who has his tank at home now?

Not so good news: It didn't come with 100% of the water taken out of it.

What this means is now I have my tank and sump in the house. The sump is empty and I removed the liverock that acted as the bio-filtration and placed them into the tank. The liverock from the tank itself is also in there. The water is about two thirds up the side, covering all the rock nicely. I've got two powerheads in there just to provide some circulation, and I've got some salt on the way tonight. I also have two big drums (75L each) that I'll begin mixing up water in so I an refill the tank and sump.

Have some images!
    Before water was added and without the liverock;

A shot of the mostly empty sump;

And the final shot of the not-full tank with the liverock in it and some powerheads;

As I said, I've got some drums which I will be mixing water up into hopefully tonight or very early tomorrow. I just hope I don't loose too much of the good bacteria in this liverock. Just hope it lasts until I can fill the tank and the sump correctly.

On a semi related note, I have a bit of issue with the lights that came with the tank. Two marine-glo tubes (nice and blue) and two white lites (unknown make). Unfortuantly, only the marine-glo ones actually work because-

And I have no idea how to fix that. It looks like it's been semi-fixed before (some sort of glue attatched to the detatched switch and inside the switch socket), but I tried to use it and it just snapped and popped so I very quickly turned it off and removed the switch and the little lever from inside (which is what turns it on or off, I think). Now it's okay, but I'd like to get this fixed soon.

More worried about the water, though.
    C'est la vie.

4'x2'x2 Tank: 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Pink Tailed Shrimp Goby, 1 Goby of unknown species, 2 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels, 1 Blue Tailed Wrasse, 1 Percula Clown.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A triplepost, but I've got some salt mixture mixing up to add to the tank and hopefully sump tomorrow. I may have to make up another tub to finish the tank filling. Things are looking up!

Edit: God I just realized there's an edit button. Fffff Sorry for tripleposting.
    Last edited by VenusTheMagicalCrawdad; 05-20-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    C'est la vie.

4'x2'x2 Tank: 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Pink Tailed Shrimp Goby, 1 Goby of unknown species, 2 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels, 1 Blue Tailed Wrasse, 1 Percula Clown.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh crap oh crap. Tank is now finally set up, filled with water and ready to go -

But my return pump pumps too fast. If I leave it go, it'll entirely drain the sump and overflow the tank, and thus flood my floor. What do I do?
    C'est la vie.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    that is why I don't run a sump. All that plumbing and math is too much like work.

If you got it as a working set-up, it worked before, so perhaps the pump or a valve has a setting you can adjust?

Hopefully someone with sump experience will chime in for you...
    20gal long planted community

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    that is why I don't run a sump. All that plumbing and math is too much like work.

If you got it as a working set-up, it worked before, so perhaps the pump or a valve has a setting you can adjust?

Hopefully someone with sump experience will chime in for you...
    Oh yes. Apparently I am blind - there's an adjustment valve on my return pump. It's now flowing properly and 'm very happy! I'm just worried the powerheads in the tank aren't enough to really push the water around as they should. Hopefully a friend of mine will let me borrow one or two of his until I can get my own.

Now I have to home-fix the outtake line so it will pump onto the center of my drip board. Pictures to come soon!
    C'est la vie.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Posting all over the place OH MY. So the tank is set up and running, I've modified the intake to the sump so it pumps into the middle of the dripboard and I've put away most of the uneccesary equipment.

My drip tray doesn't seem to be dripping onto all the rock, though. Some of it is still dry and that's a little worrying. But I guess this is the way they work?

And here's two pictures.

Sump ahoy!

And now my tank!

The tank is clearing up nicely, and the lights are bluer than the picture shows. It's a pretty dodgy camera, to be honest.

Also water perameters:
    Salinity: 1.022-1.024 (the needle sits on the 1.023 mark but I'll just list in between even numbers.)
    PH: 8.4
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 20-40ppm.

The nitrates are just going to have to wait. I do not have enough funds to purchase another batch of salt to mix up another tub to try and reduce it.
    C'est la vie.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

Two shots of a crab I only just found out I had in the tank. If anyone could identify it that would be pretty boss. It was out just long enough to snap these two bad photos and now he is disappeared.

There's also this. My camera is really, really bad, but it looks clearish, if a bit brown. I assume this is aptasia? It doesn't look like a worm out trying to feed, and more like an anemone. There's also one of my brittle stars in the shot. I got three of them with the tank.
    Last edited by VenusTheMagicalCrawdad; 05-22-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    C'est la vie.

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, that really dose look like aptasia. Peppermint shrimp from the Caribbean (forgot the exact name of them) can take care of that for you. I know one member here who is using them with with results.

I would not try removing that yourself. They can release 110s of spores if they feel threatened
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to be blunt, but you're in the wrong hobby if you can't afford salt already. How did you get your first batch? Usually comes in buckets or boxes, so you should have had enough for a few weeks.

I'd take out the rock the aiptasia is on and cook it. I used a bbq lighter on the ones I found.

I'd be roasting anything I found right now before the tank is properly running. It will be that much harder down the road...I'd be doing a 100% water change...examining each rock, before taking it out (otherwise the aiptasia retracts and is hard to see) and scorching the wee bastids, swooshing the rock in fresh water, and replacing in the tank with the new mixed water.

All of the above is just my opinion, what I would do. Not necessarily recommended. Likely overboard. You are going to have a cycle regardless, tho, might as well try to get rid of pests now.

I'm a bit paranoid as I can't beleive the hard time I have in controlling corals I want, let alone aiptasia if it gets a foothold in your tank.

Fry'em!

LOL you should post a poll, and see what the majority say about getting rid of aiptasia...
    20gal long planted community

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no money for salt because that's where all my money went in the first place. I've spent about 120$ on salt this week alone, just to fill the tank up and get it running in the first place. I do have a bucket of salt coming the end of this week or early next, I believe. I fully understand salt water tanks are not easy or cheap things to own, but all my funds for this fortnight were taken up purchasing the essentials.

As for the peppermint shrimp, I had expected I'd need to get some. I was surprised at how quick the aiptasia came out of hiding. Then again, I only thought I had three black brittle stars and a small hermit crab. Turns out I have another crab and some aiptasia to take care of.

Editord: I also intend to do a good 10% water change in a week and then test the water again. I'm hoping this will help, but I expect it'll take a few changes before the reading drops back to acceptable ranges. Then I will be getting some sort of "cleanup crew", maybe some more hermit crabs and some snails of some sort. Fish are a long way away yet.

Fun fact: This tank is a 2year old tank. I just had to give it a few days before I could refill it.
    Last edited by VenusTheMagicalCrawdad; 05-22-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    C'est la vie.