· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Magical Crawdad Salt Times

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so. I'm new to the entire salt water aquarium scene. I've been doing my research over the last few days, looking at salt water guides both here and elsewhere. I'm an aquarium enthusiast, and own two seperate freshwater tanks (one of which is having issues right now, but it's not a salt tank so there's no bearing here), with both being pretty healthy even if I do say so myself.

So I got myself a steal. Really, this will blow your mind. Tomorrow, on Thursday the 19th of May, I will be getting delivered to myself a 4'x2'x2' salt water setup. It has established live sand and rock, and comes with a sump 3'x2'x2' (roughly, accurate measurements will be taken tomorrow). The tank comes with stand, hood, lights, liverock and sand, and the sump comes with an established bio filter with a protien skimmer. The salt water from the tank is getting shipped with it in a tub which will be pumped upstairs and into the tank.

And get this: all of that? Cost me 300 of my Australian dollars. No joke.

So this will be my very first foray into the magical world of Salt Water Aquarium keeping! I'm going out tomorrow after it's set up to purchase: a big heater, a hydrometer (all I can get right now, I will have to purchase a better alternative online), and misc. testing kits (calcium/phosphate/KH/GH and I assume I need an Alkalility testing kit).

I'm going to be letting the tank return to health over the next week and will be making daily tests. I'm going to keep a physical logbook as well as posting here, the physical one so I can put my hands on my tanks water history in a heartbeat and here because you lot seem pretty knowledgeable and will be able to give pointers and tips (I hope!). In addition to all my reading (oh god I am so daunted by these new terms I have to learn and mixing salt water OH GOD HOW LONG DO I LET IT SIT IS IT A DAY OR A WEEK CAN I USE DECHLORINATED TAP WATER FOR THIS OR AGH), I have two pretty experience salt water owners to call on. In fact, tomorrow after setting it up I'm hoping to visit one of these people to get the low down, the skinny, the scoop, the deep info and the FACTS about this.

Welcome to the Magical Crawdad SALT TIMES. It's gonna be a heck of a ride.
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-18-2011 at 01:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

I'm looking forward to reading about your set-up

Have you read throught he stickys here yet ? There's a lot of helpful info there that will help you to better understand the explainations your friends will be giving you
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't have any advice since I am new to fish keeping but I've always loved saltwater tanks. I can't wait to see yours established! Sounds like you got a good deal. We better get pictures or ELSE I'll be flying across the world after you!! :)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've been reading everything I can put my grubby little hands on. I've devoured most of the stickies in the "General Saltwater (Beginner section)", and are currently re-reading to be sure I have the information correct. Doing lots of other searches on the web to broaden my knowledge and checking which facts remain constant through the different guides and FAQ's and know-hows.

I am really apprehensive about this though! For example I'm going FOWLR, because I don't trust myself with corals yet. Lots of stuff I've been reading is conflicted on Refugiums, some say it's almost mandatory and others don't mention it at all. Very confusing stuff!

The main hurdle I face is keeping stuff like calcium, GH and KH at correct levels. PH may be an issue for me too, but I'm doing loads of reading so I can prepare for this stuff, and the trip to my LFS tomorrow is to pick up the tester kits (as I said in the first post). I'll take some pictures tomorrow of tank-without-water, tank-with-water and tank-with-water-and-liverock. hopefully some good snaps of my sump too!
    C'est la vie.

4'x2'x2 Tank: 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Pink Tailed Shrimp Goby, 1 Goby of unknown species, 2 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels, 1 Blue Tailed Wrasse, 1 Percula Clown.

0 Not allowed!
    Good call with going FOWLR first

It's a much simpler set-up to start with allowing you to learn the basics first and then just go from there. That was the approach I took, although it didn't take me very long at all before I started adding corals

The water parameters you really want to focus on is: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Calcium and Alkalinity. For most fish you really don't need to maintain the Cal and Alk, but it dose help most inverts with there shells

There's some really good tank journals here to. It will give you an idea of the types of options you can consider for your set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yeah! I've been doing so much reading of these journals it isn't funny. I'll be dreaming about the perfect SW tank tonight, let me tell you! I have a test kit with Ammo/Trite/Trate/High range PH, so I'll be getting a cal and Alk test kit definately. Also the phosphate because my water has really wierd phos surges every few days (which leads to loads of algae which is no fun. Good thing I test it before I use it, right?).

I hope I don't get too much dieback on my Liverock, because I hope within the week I'll have the water pretty much perfect. Then I'll do a water change, and begin to plan for the tanks occupants.

Speaking of water changes, the 10%-20% guideline is the one to follow, yes? I'll be getting one of my friends to help with getting the replacement water ready (I assume a 24hour period to let the salts dissolve/heat the water to the tank's temp), but do I need to purchase any fancy gear? I dechlorinate my water and bar the strange Phos surges in the tapwater it's pretty great. Of course I've never had any Alk/Calc tester kits before so I suppose I should check that out before going nuts about it.
    C'est la vie.

4'x2'x2 Tank: 1 Scooter Blenny, 1 Pink Tailed Shrimp Goby, 1 Goby of unknown species, 2 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels, 1 Blue Tailed Wrasse, 1 Percula Clown.

0 Not allowed!
    10% weekly water change is what a lot of people do

I mix my water in a large rubber-maid container. I add the water and salt. I also put a powerhead in there to mix the salt for me. I also put a heater in there to match the temp of the tank. Once the salt is mixed and the temp is the same, I complete the water chance.

You can use tap water with a good dechlorinater, like seachem prime. Or, you can use RO water. Although you don't "need" RO, it can really help to aviod a lot of issues with water quality and help with algae. It would take the phosphates out of your tap water. Most people with Reef set-ups use RO water for those reasons.

Something for you to look into and consider