· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys for the responses. I'll see If there are any local clubs. I'll probably go with a tannish color.

I'm not getting the substrate yet :-(
    Maybe tomorrow (I really hope so)

I really want to get this moving.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I found a couple of clubs in my area
    I may ask my lfs's(well, more like lps's pet store) if I could sell them plants. I would give them real cheap, but that still adds up eventually.
    I'm guessing that would be something cool to do. Or maybe I could do trades or something with the aquarium society if they do that.
    So this was just a little update nothing big.

I'm going for tan on that path.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, now I understand why you want the tan colored sand. I think it'll be hard to keep the sand from drifting onto other areas of the tank though. In my tank, there's a small area sectioned off with rocks where I have black sand, and even with the rock border a lot of sand ends up on the other side. Here's a quick snapshot so you can see what I'm talking about:

There you can see the grains of sand that drifted onto the top of the rock and over. Not a huge deal for me as I occasionally will go in and sweep the top of the rock and suck up sand that made it to the other side, but in your case you may end up with a mix of tan and black sand instead of what you see in the picture you posted. In most cases those tank shots you see on the web that look so nice are staged for photography. It's near impossible to keep that kind of look day-in, day-out. Just something to keep in mind!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I decided against the path.
    Instead of using a fire moss carpet I am using fissidens splachnobyoides (I'm not sure if I spelled that right lol)
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Once again sorry for the double post.

I heard that people are not sure about fissidens.

Can anyone recommend a good carpet plant for my set up?
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I think if you're not doing intense light, then a moss carpet will be your best option. I would just try it. You can start out with a small patch and see if it works for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Operation cover ground
    Ok I'm not sure what I'm doing for a carpet anymore (moss, but what type)Has anyone done it before? If so if you wouldn't mind posting a pic that would be nice.

I might just see a couple types of moss I like and buy a tiny bit of each. Whichever does best I'll keep.

I still need to get the Eco complete, I had a really busy weekend and didn't get around to it.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

8. Exclamation Major update

0 Not allowed!
    The 120g progress is stopping
    I have that 5.5g. My parents think I should do it this way too. I will stop progress on the 120g. I will setup the 5.5g. I'll see how I do with plants and other things related to plants. I'll kinda get a feel for them. Then after a few months I will start the 120 again. So expect to see a 5.5g journal instead of the 120, then the 120 later. I hope you guys understand. I know I'm very sad but it's better to do a smaller setup first, and make all your mistakes there, rather then mess up the large set up everyone expects to be amazing.

Once again I hope you understand, I'm very upset but it seems to me more logical this way.
    Also I probably follow this way no matter what(I normally change my mind quickly)
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

0 Not allowed!
    That's not a bad idea.

This way you will able to figure out the look that you like before buying everything for the 120 gallon and then latter on realize you don't like it. You don't whant to spend all that time and money unless you know you really are going to like it

My wife and I had set-up a few tanks before we really figured out what we liked and wanted in our tanks.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I'm amazed at your patience. I don't think I could let a 120G tank just sit around.. I'd want to set it up and stock it ASAP!! Hehe... you're doing the right thing though. When I first got my 75G tank I bought all sorts of stuff I thought I wanted. Wasted a lot of money.