· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default John's 120 gallon journal

0 Not allowed!
    It's finally here!!!!! I got a little head of my self and it's like half way set up. (I started I think the 14th or 15th). Just a warning
    1)If you know how long it took me to get some of the needed things, it might be the same with the set up.
    2) pictures won't be often because my mom normally helps me do pictures to get on photobucket because I'm pretty bad with pictures. The problem is that she is busy at work (she has a very stressful day) and she hasn't gotten around to teaching me yet. Tommorow if she can, she will help.

I want to thank my parents for providing the money needed to set this monster tank up.

But now I have a question too. The fx5 clips doesn't fit the tank rim. I'm kind of unsure of what do to.

Ps. The tanks plans are planted by now.
    Cliff I would have never done black sand/black substrate if it wasn't for you.( i wanted some plants and you know severums... And I also wanted Angie, my angel, in the 120g too)
    Thank you mods and other members for all of those questions you answered
    ;-)

Pss.(haha) I don't have school Thursday because there is this all day long field trip(bus leaves at 7am-8pm) and they(I don't know who specifically so I'll just say the teachers) gave us the option to not go if we didn't want to. Yay!
    Last edited by Fisharefriends27; 05-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

0 Not allowed!
    Is the lip of the tank too wide to fit the FX5 clip over, or is the lip of the tank wider than the inside space of the clip ?

I know on my 90 gallon, I could not take the clip and just fit it in the glass. I had place the clip on the tank brace from the inside of the tank then slide it, turn it so it would fit.

I hope this helps
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's too small. Even if I did get it on, the space between the top and the lip(on the clip) won't fit how tall the tank edges are
    ___
    |. |. <-- I tried to make a diagram of it (ignore the . ) the arrow points to
    |. \|. Between the lip of the clip and the top of the clip. The tank edges are too high to fit between that. The edges are also too wide to attach the clip. Hope that clarified. The lip of the tank is wider than both.

Anyway the plant list as of now(the list on my blog will not be updated too much, I have the tank journal now :-))
    Blyxa japonica
    Fire moss
    Java fern
    Anubias nana
    Christmas moss
    java moss
    I'm currently trying to find a plant that attaches to driftwood and needs co2(yes I'm doing co2, my blog isn't too accurate anymore )
    I plan on buying a bunch of Eco complete to mix it in with the Tahitian moon sand(0.5-1.0" moon sand,2" of Eco complete)
    For a reactor I plan on using the filter mod (Hagen mini elite?)
    Stocking
    1 Angie, my angelfish
    20 harlequin rasboras
    10 bronze cories
    1 BN pleco
    And maybe a small school of another fish(maybe marble hatchets, not so sure)

Equipment
    Fluval fx5
    Fluval 405(I will take this off if I can't get co2 where I want)
    216 watts t5ho
    2 Penn plax cascade 300watt heaters
    That's it besides 2 computer fans for the canopy
    I got a genius aquascaping idea today.
    I'm also cycling a 5.5g and once I set up the 120 and start the cycle I will seed the filters
    Any comments, suggestions, help with the fx5 clips are welcome.
    :-)
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i got a pic!!!!!!and no school today!!!!!!!!!!!!yay!!!!

that is not how the dw layout will be in the end. I have a really cool aquascaping idea.
    for the filter problem i figured maybe i can attach fishing line to the suction cups to hold the tubing.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

5. Wink Operation aquascaping ideas

0 Not allowed!
    urg it wouldnt let me edit. any way i forgot what journal it was but it had operation --------
    and every big change it would do that. so i thought that was cool.
    so this is called
    Operation aquascaping ideas
    so here is the new aquascape i just did.

on the mound of dw on the far left i chose pieces with a lot of wholes because i wanted to do something like this with java ferns(the left side in this pic)

-then i am doing a fire moss carpet
    -along the backwall there wil be a ton of hornwort to make it look kind of like a forest
    -right in front of that there will be a line of blyxa jopanica (i think i spelled that right, i am doing pressurized co2) it will be like a sub forest thing
    -where theres the visibe tank bottom i might have a different color substrate as some sort of path
    -i may or may not keep the dw on the far right
    - im looking for 1-2 more mid light co2 requiring plants
    -i still need to check the requirements of each plant
    - the dw in the middle sticking way up wil be in the barren area (with the exception of a ton of fire moss as the carpet for the whole tank)

any ideas are welcome
    any comments on the set up plan are also welcome
    im going to get a bunch of eco complete, and use a hagen mini elite filter to make a co2 reactor.
    Last edited by Fisharefriends27; 05-19-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A Dirty Operation

Ok I'll see if I can order some more substrate tonight. Maybe Maybe not.
    I plan on getting 3 Bags of Eco complete, one for the whole tank, 1 for the back wall(for the hornwort) the 2nd for the blyxa, and the third for 1 last plant or two. If I need more I'll need to get some more.
    Then I'll get a second small bag of a different colored Sand (or fine grain stuff)

I also will get something to cut plants with, fishing line, and black mesh.

This tank is getting closer!
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the double post
    Anyway, what color do you think would look best?
    Here are the options
    Tan
    Red

I think the red would be kind of cool, but it may stand out too much and make to many centerpiece decorations. The tan would be more natural though.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    John, how old are you, man? I wish my parents would have let me do something like this when I was in school.

So you are thinking of adding either tan or red sand? I'm confused. It looks like you already have substrate in the tank, and you say you're getting eco-complete as well? What do you need the sand for? Either way I would not do red. Neutral colors work better, and as you say, are more natural. Just plain black works very well.

Another thing, you mention fire moss as a carpet. Is that the same thing as flame moss? I was thinking of making a flame moss carpet myself. Only problem is, that stuff is very expensive, and it will take many pieces to make a lawn. Will your budget allow for that?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    13. We got an addition and I was originally getting a 72 g bow front form a neighbor. Then my mom said we have had bad experiences with used stuff and the tank wasn't in perfect shape either. So I went for the biggest space allowed,which was the 120. My mom said xxxx budget, and now she said she doesn't mind the price as long as I make it look really good.

Have you seen those planted tanks with those path kind of things? I thought that looks good, so that's what the tan or red substrates for. The Eco complete is being mixed with the Tahitian moon sand for the area without the path. If you can see it, the spot with no substrate will be the path.

I need to update with a new pic, I changed it a tiny bit.

It is really expensive to do a carpet, I never looked up the prices :-0

Yes I do mean flame moss, for some reason I keep saying fire

I'll try to put up a pic of the current look.

Sorry about the logo

This picture has the pathway in the tan color
    Last edited by Fisharefriends27; 05-20-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    You have some awesome plans and ideas. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Planted tanks are expensive. Something you might look into is local clubs, they generally have great prices or auctions held for everyone.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's