· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default Stocking Question

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I am slowly building up my 29 gal tank. I have built a sump out of a 10gal, and planning on a diy 3d background. I want to do a little hydroponics with some plants on top and some aquatic plants as well. That being said I am thinking the big fish for this tank will be some angels, I was thinking about two or 3, around 6 guppies, and two rams. My question is would this be over stocked or would I still have room for some bottom feeders?

Thanks,

Teach
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not an angel guy but I was told a 29 in min for 2 so either rams or Angels. Then the guppies would be cool and the angels would keep population down if they breed and then you could still do some cory cats if youwant or loaches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Just a 'Thank you' penguin to a water treatment guy :-D. Clean water and sanitiation is a CORNERSTONE of modern civilization that people take for granted and don't think twice about & I felt that way about it before I had fish lol. Thanks to my HS Hi - 850R   because I LOL'ed at your single neon 90 gal show fish - ddavis1979   For the help on CO2 and plants - Greentoads41   Great looking tank you have! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    I really wouldn't do angelfish in a 29g. I have several in my 90g and I feel like that's even too cramped for them. I was planning on building up a large school of them but I already feel bad enough. If you do go with rams, I would wait several months after the tank has been running first. They are a relatively sensitive fish and should only be added to an established tank. You could add some type of small schooling fish. I'm partial to cardinal tetras but there are plenty of options for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    One angel is the maximum I would put in a 29 gallon. I would skip the angel and go with the rest of your plan.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice. As for the rams they are a done deal I moved them from my 55gal over to the 29 to lower the bioload on the 55. I just wanted some larger fish to go in with them in my 29gal and have always loved angels but never have kept one for very long. Would I be able to do one angel with the rest of the stocking or is there any suggestions for a larger show fish they would keep the guppy population in check as well.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Man thats really pushing it with the rams and the angel. It is DOABLE but not advisable. I personally wouldnt put rams and angels together in the tank that small. 3 cichlids needing to claim territory, one that gets the size of your palm or bigger... just doesnt bode well in my mind.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice all. I will have to re work my plan. So any suggestions of stocking would be great.
    Scott

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    In a 29 I would stick with the rams - a pair of angels will outgrow it quickly. I would suggest getting some kind of smaller shoaling fish (rummynose, cardinals, etc) to add color and activity.

Another option may be one or two of the smaller gouramis? I've had success keeping rams with both Dwarf and Pearl Gouramis in the past. Dwarfs may be better for your size tank.

Just my $0.02!

Rich
    110 gallon Malawi tank - in the works
    65 gallon - angels, corys, rummynose, danios, BN pleco

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had two angels in a 30gal. While the angels aren't full grown yet, I can see they needed more room. So over the weekend I upgraded the tank to a 45. Same footprint, but an extra 6 inches in height. They seem to be enjoying it so far.

Having had them for 8-9 months now, I would have only gotten one after seeing how big and active they are in an 30gal.