· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Info on dwarf Baby teardrops (HC)

0 Not allowed!
    I got a shipment of this plant in a good while ago and hand no idea what I was doing with it. First I split it in about 3 bunches and planted right into the flourite. Then I began reading a little and ultimately took the clumps and divided them into stems and planted as many as I could stand into a 6X8 area. It looked really good at first then I noticed a lot of it started to turn grey and dead looking. I pulled a good bit of the worst looking pieces up leaving the greenest down. I ended up adding 3 times the light I started with and stopped pulling it out altogether about a month ago. Now its very very scarce in the tank but I have noticed, that I am starting to see what looks like tiny little bright green leaves coming up in new spots close to where some old rooted pieces are growing. THe old growth looks bad, but the stuff popping up looks like it may be coming back in really good shape.

My question is, Is that right? Does this plant grow that way and will it eventually spread, say at this rate in like a year?

The pic is a cell phone 3mbp pic, you can barely see the new growth up next to the rock the java fernlets are tied too.
    I put a black circle around the new growth... maybe you can tell.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I tried it once with similar experiances. I had intense lighting of almost 300 watts with high dosages of excel and proper ferts but no injected co2. It is stated to need co2 injection with this stuff,maybe others will chime in,but I had horrible luck with it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Besides some other mosses, This is the most difficult plant ive tried to grow. I really want that short carpeted look, but its gonna take forever this way. I may just look into some other short grass like plant other than HC. It is for advanced users, which I am not.

Thanks for your reply.

Anybody else know about HC? Anybody?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, does anyone have any idea how much C02 the DIY co2 bottles generate? You know the Yeast in a plastic bottle with the tube attached to the filter intake so the filter can diffuse the gas into the tank. My Tap water, which is well water seems to be pretty high already in co2. Tested right from the tap the pH is 4.5. If I let it sit 24 hrs and let all the co2 escape, it reads 7.0.

I know that co2 cause your pH to drop, so that seems to me like a pretty good indication that my well water is high in co2?

Any thoughts on that?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish for your thoughtful posts!  Brain food! - Rue   Another Betta for your AC tank - Cliff   thanks for plant link - Lady Hobbs   good luck with your geckos! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen some people that "dry start" a tank. You basically get some HC, plant it all over the tank and keep the water level just under the gravel line while completely sealing in moisture into the tank and constantly misting. It apparently grows and carpets a lot faster this way. Once it is where you like it, you fill the tank, but I'm not sure if co2 injection is needed after this point; I didn't look into it much further than that yet. It typically takes about a month to get a nice carpet going I think I saw.
    20 and 10 gallon community tanks, 5.5 gallon dwarf gourami tank
    Red tail boa, Corn snake, Albino Nelson's milksnake
    Fire belly toads (2), Red eye tree frogs (2), Antilles pinktoe tarantula
    Mourning gecko, Electric blue gecko, Crested gecko, Mali uromastyx

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    I had HC in my office tank for some time, it had DIY CO2 and took about 2-3months to fully carpet the front. HC requires high light and good CO2 levels or it just wont thrive, it will just sort of exist but not really grow much at all. With a dry start you will also get some die off when you submerge it, so it could be counter productive if you dont have tank conditions to its liking afterward. The primary benefit to a dry start is it lets its root system develope so it will stay put on the bottom as HC has very shallow roots it is easy for it to become dislodged from the substrate floor.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons