· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

Default My DIY CO2 System...

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I would share my new CO2 system, wich has been running for just over 24 hours now. I combined information/instructions/suggestions from the thread on here a few weeks ago and these two webpages:
    http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html
    http://rexgrigg.com/co2.htm (you may find his attitude offensive, but the information is good. some content does not conform to polocies governing this forum)

I would have done this as a step by step log, but I didn't have time to snap the shots while I was putting it together.

I used a 1.75L orange juice bottle, and a very small water bottle as a bubble counter. I did not use any sealant in the whole construction. I drilled the holes at about the size of the inner diameter of the silicone air line, cut the line at an angle, and used pliers to pull the line through. The compression caused by the small hole is enough to form an air tight seal (this idea courtessy if rexgrigg.com).

At night, I run an air stone in my aqua clear to keep the fishies from suffocating. It is on a timer to begin running when the lights go out and shut off an hour before the lights come on in the morning.

To get the CO2 into the tank, I converted my Fluval 1 Plus internal filter into a reactor. I don't have detailed pics right now because its in the tank and running, but I'll do my best to describe it. I drilled a hole in the bottom cap for the air line, and cut a hole into the filter pad. I inserted a small Hagen air stone (seems finer than most of the ceramic ones) into the filter and hooked it up. Thus the CO2 comes into the filter and diffuses through the airstone into the pad. From the pad it runs up through the impeller and out into the tank @ 50GPH.

this mist you see in this picture occurs a few times a minute. I am a little worried aobut air passing through the impeller and its effect on the life of the filter, but we shall see what happens.

Just tested my pH and it reads 6.8. At 5 dkH, thats about 24ppm dissolved CO2! I am a little worried that this system might be too strong, so ill be monitoring cloesly over the next few days. Its only a 10 gallon so it may be possible for this system to choke it. I am getting about 20 bubbles per minute from the counter.

And to finish it off, an FTS since I have rescaped since the last one.

I turned the driftwood over because it looked more natural from this side, also provided many niches for anchoring anubias and java fern. (there are two smaller java ferns growing that can't be seen yet). I am hoping for the anacharis to reproduce and allow me to grow a stand of the stuff in the right side of the tank to hide the heater and fluval.

peace,
    zer

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good. I dont quite understand the two bottle setup though. But whatever works!

Your snail seems to like your mag-na-float too.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

very helpful! - salman   For your awesome math post, lol. You deserve it - Mark Lathrop   【ツ】 - korith   For helping the turkey cross the road - mommy1   Thanks so much for your help! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Let me explain the 2 bottle thing a little better. First, how it works: the CO2 travels out of the bottle with the yeast + sugar mix into the small bottle which has just water in it. The air line extends below the water level in that bottle. A second air line is in cap which stays above the water level and runs thru a check valve into the reactor.

Why do I do this? Two reasons, most importantly the water acts as a filter. Should something happen to cause some yeast + sugar solution to get up into my line, or any other non gas, it will be trapped in the water of the second bottle rather then sent into the tank. Secondly, it allows me to sit there and count bubbles to measure the rate of CO2 production.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerileous
    Let me explain the 2 bottle thing a little better. First, how it works: the CO2 travels out of the bottle with the yeast + sugar mix into the small bottle which has just water in it. The air line extends below the water level in that bottle. A second air line is in cap which stays above the water level and runs thru a check valve into the reactor.

Why do I do this? Two reasons, most importantly the water acts as a filter. Should something happen to cause some yeast + sugar solution to get up into my line, or any other non gas, it will be trapped in the water of the second bottle rather then sent into the tank. Secondly, it allows me to sit there and count bubbles to measure the rate of CO2 production.

AHHHHHhh. That makes much more sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Its actually pretty ingenious if you think about it.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I see no reason this isn't working properly. Who cares if it doesn't conform to this forum as long as it appears to be working for you. We don't know everything here and always open to learn more.

I did the same thing you did the with bottle cap. Cut my line at an angle and pulled it thru with pliers. I still added the sealant but really wouldn't have needed to. It was tough dragging that line thru the cap so know it had a good enough seal to it already.

Give it a couple days longer and let us know how this works for you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice discus - Lady Hobbs   Excellent researching! - Rue   For Your Friendship & Help - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your new accomplishment.
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   welcome to the club - Lady Hobbs   God!  Cut your hair!!!!!!!!! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I like the diffuser idea, might try that. How much lighting do you have? Your plants should really take off now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for all the comments guys.

genitor, i only have 20w of screw in compact forescent on the tank right now. :/ That may be enough considering many of my plants are low light.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice discus - Lady Hobbs   Excellent researching! - Rue   For Your Friendship & Help - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    I know this is a little off topic, but, does DIY mean do it yourself? I didnt want to start a thread.
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent supporter! Great posts! - Rue   good poster/nice guy - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help here - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the research! - Nick_Pavlovski   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RobbieG   

0 Not allowed!
    You got it Salman

Nice set up Zerileous! The Anachris should grow like crazy - the new strands may be smaller than the original brecause of the amount of light - but even so they will be nice and green and healthy!
    Last edited by RobbieG; 07-21-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies