· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Amazon Sword Clone?

0 Not allowed!
    Heyy so I'm pretty new to taking care of plants, especially aquarium plants...I have a bunch of amazon swords I bough awhile ago and they'r staying alive for the most part..lost a couple of leaves here and there but recently got some iron rich fertilizer which I hear they need a lot of. Anyway, I noticed a bud or something growing on one of the end of the stems and its been growing like crazy, It looks like a whole new root system growing and leaves sprouting out. I don't know weather to cut it off and replant it or just let it grow..Heres a picture.
    Last edited by l1lnik274; 05-08-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Problem, Have A Gift Yourself! :) - MCHRKiller   You like horses and kids movies you must be a kindred spirit - Owlbehere   Anotherone for a great tank - Cliff   It goes round and round and round...  : ) - gadget228   It's a Thanksgiving bunny. - gadget228   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - AmyLynn   

0 Not allowed!
    It's a sword plantlet. Means your swords are happy enough to reproduce. I would let it develop a better root system then you can clip it off and plant it.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes you get 4 or 5 little plants that way. Let them all develop till the leaves are 3 inches or so with a very good root system,then fold the whole stem over to the substrate and fasten each plantlet to the substrate then leave it that way till they take hold. Do it that way and it gives them all a very good chance to develop fully.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Smaug, that was exactly the info I was after.

Man the search function works well.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Once a plant starts doing that it can keep sending out stalks for months. You may wind up with many swords.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering? If I cut the plantlet from the main plant, how close to the plantlet should I cut that stem or do I just leave them attached?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    I leave them attached until I get a decent amount of leaves and a good root system. You can plant while it is still attached as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, I left it attached and planted it in the substrate abot 6 inches from the main plant. Now we'll wait and see how things go.
    Thank you.