· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: quikrete

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigge3415
    I was a concrete finisher for 6 years and I know what I am talking about. If you ask for portland cement at youe local hardware store they will give u cement that is used for skimming or patching concrete. This conctete is extreamly hard usually around 12,000 psi while quick crete is only around 4,000 psi. If u choose to try portlan dont mix up to much is drys extreamly fast.
    Portland cement is also used as mortar between brick/blocks when mixed with sand. It is a part of concrete it is not concrete itself. If it doesn't have aggregate it's cement not concrete.

Concrete is a composite construction material, composed of cement (commonly Portland cement) and other cementitious materials such as fly ash and slag cement, aggregate (generally a coarse aggregate made of gravel or crushed rocks such as limestone, or granite, plus a fine aggregate such as sand), water and chemical admixtures.
    My bad. Didn't realize this was 3 weeks old since last post. Never mind
    Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 09-29-2011 at 03:23 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s
    Portland cement is also used as mortar between brick/blocks when mixed with sand. It is a part of concrete it is not concrete itself. If it doesn't have aggregate it's cement not concrete.
    You are correct cement is the actual bonding agent in concrete. Concrete is cement with other additives depending on the use. There is no point in gettin technical. All I was saying that in my neck of the woods if you go to your local hardware store and ask for portland cement. They will point you twards a mix used for patching and skimming concrete. That has no aggregate and little to no sand added which will leave a smooth finish. It is also around a 6 to 8 thousand psi. Instead of 3500 to 4000 for most quickcrete type mixes. Which will leave an extreamly hard finish and will cure really fast.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigge3415
    You are correct cement is the actual bonding agent in concrete. Concrete is cement with other additives depending on the use. There is no point in gettin technical. All I was saying that in my neck of the woods if you go to your local hardware store and ask for portland cement. They will point you twards a mix used for patching and skimming concrete. That has no aggregate and little to no sand added which will leave a smooth finish. It is also around a 6 to 8 thousand psi. Instead of 3500 to 4000 for most quickcrete type mixes. Which will leave an extreamly hard finish and will cure really fast.
    The only comment I will now make is I will never ever pour a slab again. Especially in August. In Florida. My grandfather was an excellent mason. The grandson is not.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lol I live in Sc now, but im origonally from Fl. Thats where I was a concrete finisher. I been up here in Sc for over 5 years and only poured concrete once. Well about to be twice.