· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' 90G reef

0 Not allowed!
    I know what you mean, theres so much to take in!!!

I've had alot of success with the algae scrubber so far even after the odd coral death with the lighting I never suffered any serious algae outbreaks.

Infact I've not had any trace of nitrate or phosphate in 4 months and thats with pretty heavy feeding.

I have a skimmer in the current setup but after innitial bedding in its never been switched back on!!!!!

I'm defo sticking with a scrubber, just going to use everything I've learned from the 4 I've built now and make this a perminant and easy to maintain one.

I'm going to get a fine grain sand for the bed and aim for about 4" depth.
    From what I've read below 0.2mm but above 0.050mm grain size is recommended.

Thanks, chris
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Sump looks very good Chris! Be careful with the deep sand bed though since it can cause problems if for any reason it gets disturbed

Also I'm curious about the algae scrubber too haha... I'm seriously considering implementing one that's just above my sump and can drip into my sump... not positive yet but most likely will do it after hearing about your success with it.

Tank looks like it's coming together well, can't wait to actually see your sump when it's done!
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I would love to see pics of how you build your algea scrubber Chris.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    will put loads up ;)

I'll do a step by step when I do it bud!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Step one carried out yesterday..... not without pain lol

I've modified the sump that came with the new tank and made it into a temporary tank for my lot. I did however cut my hand badly while cutting the baffles out!!! I got salt water inside my glove later which hurt to say the least lol

Anyhow, I removed the fish into one bucket, the shrimp to another, the the corals to a large one then lastly the rock to a fourth large bucket.

I swapped the tanks and put it all back, this however took a good few hours.

At the end I noticed there was something in the bottom of the live rock bucket...

It was an Xanthid crab. He's been placed in my make shift fuge at the moment but I intend to put him in a special make hitchhikers holding area in my new sump :) :)

I've got pics but the cammera battery has now died!

Anyway, I've cleaned the old tank up and am measuring the glass I need now so hopefully the sump can be built early next week and the tank started the end of the week!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so looking forward to seeing this tank unfold. Please keep us updated with as much info as you can. I'm hoping to set up a sw tank one day semi-soon and you have some good ideas to share. Cheers.

Awards Showcase

Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 
    So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch! I have had the aweful experience of gashing my calf on a coral reef scuba diving and salt water hurts!!!!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Taz, I'm looking forward to sharing my experiance. I'm hoping to have a much more "polished" look compared to my last 2 efforts :)

That must have been really sore Sandz. :(

I've measured up all the glass I'm going to need and also drawn the sump design on the outside of the sump with a black marker.

I've only changed the design very slightly from the one I've posted earlier, dropping the last hieght setting baffle making the cheato box part of the last area.

0 Not allowed!
    I took all my measurements to the glazier today and he took an interest in the project. Infact he took such an interest that he's asked to come around and look once its made :):):)
    He fancies getting marine fish himself but has always been worried about the maintainance side, I've offered to help him if he wants to start a tank. Looks like I've go another fish friend lol

Anyway, he's going to make the baffles for me but due to deadlines with other bits I prob won't get them till tuesday. I won't be able to get my tank placed and start filling with salt water will my new carpet arrives next friday anyway so its no real biggie.

Heres the pics I've got so far;

The temp home

Sump tank temp in the stand, also some of my "reef bones" or dead "live" rock placed in the tank.

The sump design drawn on the tank,

My little hitch hiker crab,

0 Not allowed!
    Right, updates time!!!

I've still not got my new carpet for the dining room where the tank will live but have temp filled it with SW in situ in the middle of the living room floor lol

I've bought 10lbs of new live rock and put it in the new tank and my little skimmer (rated for 40G) is slurping away under the new tank and is actually taking quite alot out lol

I've stolen a little of the rock from the old tank but not alot and have moved it over too.

I've been moving water back and forth between the two tanks regularly using a 2lt jug. Been moving between 6 and 10lt at a time. The old tank is still running the cheato and Algae scrubber and the new tank is running the skimmer.
    In theory all the water should get through both systems in a period of time as I'm keeping mixing the two till I can move the tank.

As soon as the carpet is fitted I will completely drain the new tank (got my water butt emptied and got enough buckets to do it :) ) then I'll get the tank moved and refilled asap.

Other Jobs I've done are, making up the power strips and started mounting them on the back of the stand, cleaning the large glass panels I've got to protect around the sump and just generally checking the logistics for the move.

I'm still waiting to recieve the glass to make up the sump though so as soon as that arrives the new tank will have to be skimmerless for a day or two to let me build that!

I can't wait lol

Thanks, chris

Oh, I've also been looking into fish and corals I'd like once the new tank has settled and I've picked out a few. I'd like frogspawn and hammerhead corals next and prob a yellow tang and another clown :)