· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' 90G reef

Default Chris' 90G reef

0 Not allowed!
    I'm itching in anticipation for collecting my tank tomorrow night so I thought I'd start this thread now to help relieve me a little lol

Here is the tank. The actual height of the tank is higher that 24", its about 27" but to the overflow she measures 24".

The dimentions are 3x2x2.

Anyway, I'm collecting it tomorrow night but I'll not be able to fill her until my new carpet arrives in 2 weeks so I've got time to build a custom sump.

The inside of the cabinet measures more that 3ft wide so I will prob run a 3ft tank in there as a sump, maybe even completely make a custom one from glass panels allowing me to have a 35-40G sump possibly ;)

The plan at the moment is I'm going to make up 30G of SW in my water butt in the shed and another 25G of DI water in my water jugs.

I'll then make get the whole lot into the tank as soon as the carpets laid and start making more until the tank is all but full of new water then let it sit for a few days while I finish building the new sump.

Also at this point I'll get egg crate down where the main part of the reef is going and also get some sand in there :)

Its going to take a while to make the water as my DI unit will only make 25lt in 2 hours lmao.

Once I've got 90G of water in the tank and the sumps ready I'll begin the move.

Plan is to get my 3 15G buckets, one for the fish, one for the corals and one for the rock.

Get each one part filled from the old tank and aclimate them with water from the new tank over about 2 hours.

Because my existing tank is not too old and the new sump recently meant an increase in new water volume of about 40% my water is pretty fresh and not alot different to the new water I'll be making so there shouldn't be too much issues from the transfer.

The rock will then go in first followed by the corals, next the shrimp, hermits and snails then the fish.

Next I will get all the remaining water from the buckets and old tank and sumps to fill the new sump and start the system.

After this I will transfer the lighting and power heads over including the spare powerhead which I have running in the water butt currently.

Lights will be moved next, I have a 2ft T5 unit which is currently running at a 3rd of its capacity over the current tank. this will be placed in the center of the new tank running back to front so only the center 3rd of the tank will be directly light front to back.
    I will have the reef centeralised with free swinmming space on both sides and the tank viewable from 3 sides.

I will innitially use my nano skimmer (rated up to 35G) until I can build my new Algae scrubber, prob within the week.

I will however invest in a decent skimmer rated for the size of tank even if I don't end up turning it on like I've found in the current one.

I will slowly add new live rock to the system before adding ANY new fish, better to get ahead with the filteration than play catch up lol

I'm intending on setting up part of the sump as a refugium at some point but no rush, just something I'd like to toy with, either that or a sand bed and mangroves :) :) :)

Anyone got any ideas of anything I've forgotten or missed feel free to comment...

Chris
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    going to go and buy some reef plate and reef rock today to build up a little before the live rock goes in ;)

On and buy me my extra sand too lol

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you will have a great start. Good luck with it all. Keep us updated.

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good so far Chris
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Cheers guys :)

I bought 30lbs of sand and about 30lbs of reef rock to put under all my live stuff and bulk it out. I didn't intend buying as much but got carried away when I found some large pieces lol

The plan as before is to have the bulk of the rockwork in the middle of the tank then I will build up live rock around it and along the back of the tank over time.

Can't wait now lol

Oh also bought a 20kilo bucket of reef salt too as I'm not sure I've got enough left to fill her at the mo. I might have but it'll never go wrong having too much

0 Not allowed!
    oh oh oh, been looking at LOADS of designs of other peoples sumps and trying to decide how I'm making mine......... By golly I think I've got a plan

Now those of you who followed my original SW thread will have seen my first prototype tank. It was a 2 ft version of what I have now, be it a little less attractive lol

Now that I'm running a seperate sump for my skimmer and algae scrubber I don't really need the little sump on the end of the current tank.

If I was to empty the tank I currently use and put it all into the smaller one for a week or two I'd only really be loosing out on 4inches of display area and about 6 gallons of water.
    As a temp measure this won't be a massive issue as I've actually added more than that with the other sump only a matter or days ago.

Basically that will give me a 3ft by 1 foot sump about 16" high for the new tank ;)

The plan is that I'm going to make the first chamber for a skimmer and leave it otherwise empty.

The second and by far the largest chamber, 16-18" approx, will be for my turf aglae scrubber but also at the base if it will be a refugium and deep sand bed.
    I'll use the lighting I currently have for my turf scrubber and have extended height glass panels front and rear with cross braces and have the lighting at the top.

Water will be pumped from the final chamber back up about 18inches above the water height then down mesh on both sides into the refugium where there will also be chetomorph and possibly calerpa growing above the DSB.

Water then flows back over into the last chamber again where it gets sent back upto the tank.

Shouldn't end up costing much more that $40 in materials :) :) :)

Tee hee, I'm excited!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Right, old tanks been taken down from the attic, cleaned and is now filled and left on my kitchen side to make sure it still holds water!

Will prob do the move on weds night and start measuring up for what size glass panels I need on thursday :) :) :)

As howard Schultz would say.... Onward!!

0 Not allowed!
    Collected the new tank tonight and I'm really impressed :):):)

I've been working on a design for the sump, heres a look see...

0 Not allowed!
    heres some pics of my inspirations,

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting looking examples.

I don't know about you, but when I started to looking into sump designs I was completely caught off guard by how many different approaches you can take to making a sump

They are all pretty straight forward and simple (once you learn how they work that is), just a lot of options you can include

I like your desgin tho. I'm very interested in your algae scrubber, mostly because I've never used one.

Also, what type of substrate were you thinking about for your sump ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]