· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

love you! - Brhino   For Your Goldfish Tank :) - kel   So you can Keep thinking - little hawaii   Happy Birthday! - Northernguy   you want some gifts? fine! - Brhino   

Default Ethical question regarding a neighbor's cat.

0 Not allowed!
    A ginger tomcat has been hanging around my house off and on for months now. I think he belongs to one of my neighbors who have not had him neutered. The cat has no collar or any signs of ownership. How unethical would it be for me to catch him and have him neutered? The local chapter of the Humane Society is offering such services at a discounted price. What do you guys think?
    Well, it seems all the fish in the rivers are dying. Could this be an act of cod? --Colin Mochrie

Never forget only dead fish swim with the stream. --Malcolm Muggeridge

Please visit my AC blog: Tank-side Thoughts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Can't give you an award, but have a gift while you are waiting : ) - Little Embers   In memorium to your little angelfish - mermaidwannabe   A bouquet to brighten your day! - kurly   In memory of your loss. - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Personally I wouldn't. It's not your cat.

Is there a reason that you want it neutered? To keep it away from your cat (if you jave one)? Or to keep it away from your property?

Could you catch him and pass him onto the council (animal control?)?

You could always spray him with water every time he comes around if you want him to go away...
    ~Col~

4 ft 60g FW: 2 angels, 4 blind cave, 1 whiteskirt, 4 gold widows, 6 serpaes, 1 neonhead apisto, 4 clown loaches, 4 albino cory, 2 bronze corys & 3 BN plecos.
    23g FW: 1 neonhead apisto, 1 yoyo, 2 albino BN plecos & 4 pepper cory
    5.5g: Crowntail Betta, 6 black Khuli's & RCS
    5 g: Crowntail Betta, 1 albino cory (Quasi), 4 baby khuli's & RCS
    7 g: Dragontail Betta & 2 albino cory
    3ft Axi tank: 1 black, 1 gold - 1 redcap oranda & 2 albino cory

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    if this were my cat,(and it would never be, since if i owned a cat it wouldn't be outside, and it would already be neutered), and you took it for surgery i would be incredibly angry.
    is it unethical? i don't know. if it were a stray, i would say do it. but you think this cat belongs to a neighbor. have you tried talking to the person you think he belongs to? maybe there is a reason they haven't had it neutered. if it's because they can't afford it they may appreciate your help.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

love you! - Brhino   For Your Goldfish Tank :) - kel   So you can Keep thinking - little hawaii   Happy Birthday! - Northernguy   you want some gifts? fine! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    I would like to neuter this cat because I have lived in neighborhoods before where feral cat populations were a problem. I would like to prevent this if I could. If I can't prevent it completely, at least I can put a dent in it.

I don't mind the cat coming around at all. In fact, today was the first time he came close enough for me to pet him. Except for the occasional pile of poop I see him burying in my garden, he's not destructive or any sort of nuisance otherwise.

Mommy1 has the right idea I think. Talking to the neighbor/potential owner is certainly the logical next step. Thanks.

What are others' thoughts?
    Well, it seems all the fish in the rivers are dying. Could this be an act of cod? --Colin Mochrie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    And if you talk to them about it and it is there cat and they tell you to pound sand,then what? They will know for sure it was you if the cat gets neutered. On the other hand,if you go ahead and just do it,you did them a favor and no one is the wiser as to who to thank. Maybe the cat should be neutered,I gotta say though,worse things then neutering happen to loose roaming ca ts where I'm from

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't even like for my own cats to poop in my garden, let alone someone else's.

He's not yours, so I don't think you would have the right to have him neutered without his owner's consent.

If you do talk to the owner, and the owner gives his or her consent for you to have him neutered, I would get that consent in writing with the owner's signature and the date signed. Otherwise, the owner could come back and deny ever giving you permission, and try to sue you for it.

Just a prudent precaution in today's crazy world with so many unfair, money-hungry people in it.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Smaug- the risk of telling them crossed my mind, which is part of my small dilemma here! xD

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    No surgery but I would catch him and call the humane society to come get him.

If someone cared about that cat, he wouldn't be out loose to be attacked by dogs, get in peoples trash or run over by a car.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Osco looks great! - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    No surgery but I would catch him and call the humane society to come get him.

If someone cared about that cat, he wouldn't be out loose to be attacked by dogs, get in peoples trash or run over by a car.

I wouldn't do all that.......
    *75g- 20g sump -- WC/CB mix Geophagus Abalios colony, Queen Botias, Yo-yo Botias, Polka-Dot Botias
    *29g- 10g sump/Penguin 350 -- Empty
    *40b -- Empty
    *120g Deep -- Empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    The cat may not even live nearby and you have no idea of who it belongs to. It could be some stray from 5 miles away and comes around when a cat in the neighborhood is in heat. I see nothing wrong from taking an animal off the streets and taking him to the humane society where it may get a chance for a home. Allowing him to continue to run loose is dangerous for the animal and adds to the wild cats running around everywhere.

A vet will not simply neuter it but give it an exam, assume it needs all it's shots, as well. Spending that kind of money then turning him loose to have a car run over him is fruitless.