User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Osco looks great! - Blu-ray   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    you have no idea of who it belongs to.
    Neither do we. It could belong to some lonely little girl who just wants to see her little scruffums again...but can't because someone called the humane society on it. I don't know how things work in your area, but most animals just end up getting killed...Just let the cat live and chase mice or play or whatever it wants to do.

Taken directly from humane society website:

"The HSUS estimates that animal shelters care for 6-8 million dogs and cats every year in the United States, of whom approximately 3-4 million are euthanized."

There's a 50/50 chance the cat will get killed if you take it in. I think it has much better chances of survival living on the streets.
    *75g- 20g sump -- WC/CB mix Geophagus Abalios colony, Queen Botias, Yo-yo Botias, Polka-Dot Botias
    *29g- 10g sump/Penguin 350 -- Empty
    *40b -- Empty
    *120g Deep -- Empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Alfcea   Christmas cheers - Lady Hobbs   Another wasted 5 minutes of my life - Lady Hobbs   Knock on wood - Lady Hobbs   Why thank-you for the nice thread - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Why do we have to get involved with someone else's family pet? Just let it be. If the family wanted it neutered I'm sure they would have done it. You could get yourself in a lot of hot water by neutering someone else's animal. If you like it around, like it balls and all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your cycle! - fins_n_fur   Congrats! - Northernguy   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your  new tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    This is one of my pet peeves, when a neighbors cat just wanders the area. Dog owners are constantly forced to leash, chain, curb, clean up after, and silence their pets. But cats can roam free, crapping in neighbors shrubbery and nothing is said. I'd get a big dog and let him neuter that cat naturally if it was destroying my property.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    A garden hose with an adjustable spray head, set on the jet blast setting, could take care of the problem nicely, in a humane way. No cat likes to get an unexpected bath. Spray him with water whenever you see him on your property. Pretty soon, he will learn to associate your property with getting doused, and will steer clear. Cats are intelligent. Their behavior can be conditioned.

I agree that if he is taken to an animal shelter, unless it has a no-kill policy, chances are the cat will be euthanized if not adopted within a certain time frame. And since it isn't your cat, you really don't have the right to do that.

Just hose him a few times, and he'll stop coming around.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree pretty much with everyone else.

-It's not your cat.
    -If you take it to the SPCA, it likely will be euthanized unless it's somehow extremely attractive or charming.
    -Cats should not run free.

My only other suggestion is that if you want this cat...take it. Neuter it. Look after it as an indoor-cat. It is now YOUR cat. You took in a stray. If it's not tagged or microchipped no one can prove it's theirs. If you do that you can pretty much guarantee it will have it's best option of a good life and living to a ripe old age. An indoor cat's average life-span is 18 years I belive. An outdoor cat's is 3.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC Tank! - Brookfish   Cause my one little fish was lonely - dragoonwoman   Couldn't find any horse gift for you except a seahorse! lol - Blu-ray   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dragoonwoman   

Default Have to weigh in on this

0 Not allowed!
    In my house right now are 7 cats that were born to ferals on my property. I was able to catch and neuter the mother, but not the father yet. I know where he comes from, and those people had a feral colony of over 30 cats because someone dropped off a pair of unneutered ones. It has taken them 6 years to reduce the colony to only a few, all neutered now.

There are LOW COST spay/neuter clinics around in almost every state (can't speak to Canada, but I would expect something similar). As part of the very reasonable price, the cat is examined, given shots and flea-treated as well as being "fixed." They will take both ferals and people's pets, and the cost is 1/4 to 1/2 that of going to a vet.

Aminax, talk to the people you think are the owners. If the cat is theirs, you could discuss your concerns, maybe offer to go half on the cost of neutering him.

If the cat ISN'T theirs, then you have a stray and you can deal with getting him neutered without worry that someone will nail you legally. You'd be doing the cat a favor - feral cats have a life expectancy of only 3 to 5 years. By contrast, a household pet can live 15 to 20.

I don't think the cat is feral, though. A true feral is impossible to get near unless trapped, and then you'd better have heavy gloves, long sleeves and face protection!!

You've said that, other than some buried piles, he's doing no damage to your yard. I see no reason to punish him if he's not hurting anything. I still see the father of my 7 cats come into my yard; he leaves his scent on some trees, but that's it. I don't mind him coming around; as the daddy cat, I keep an eye on him and worry if I don't see him for a while. We have coyotes here, too.
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congratulations on your cycle! - fins_n_fur   Congrats! - Northernguy   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your  new tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I understand that there are other methods to get rid of them. But my point is that I shouldn't even have to worry about getting rid of SOMEONE ELSES cat. If nothing else, I should be jet blasting the OWNER, instead of the cat, to get the point across.
    11 tanks, 5.5g up to 125g(2). Mbuna, Haps, Peacocks, Tangs, wild caught to tank raised!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congratulations on the cycled tank!! - mommy1   Too bad you cant really open them... - DemonShark   congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   thanks for the rock elp. - krystalsohun   hang in there - mommy1   
    Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - jackson17   

0 Not allowed!
    Our neighbors did the same thing, same exact cat, just it was a kitten. They left it out in horrific snow storms and never cared for it. We took it in, got it fix and gave it a home. Honestly, he is the coolest cat ever. Swims, goes outside with you, comes when you call him. More so a dog than a cat.

If you know there is definitive neglect, then I think you can take it in; that is what we did. But there was definitive proof/evidence

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199   Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1   Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1   lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA   Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    A cat with no collar/chip and unaltered is a STRAY. It is not "maybe someone down the street that really loves him."

Take it to a no-kill shelter. (They will neuter him and not euthanize him.) If some person is an actual owner that is looking for their missing cat... of course they call the animal shelters in their rounds... they also ask around the neighborhood and then you can directly tell them; "we though he was a stray with no collar so we took him to ________."

OR

Adopt him and treat him as yours. If some person later shows up claiming you have their cat and threatens to sue you over having him fixed, be certain to ask them how they can afford a lawsuit, but not the proper care of their pet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    This reminds me of a thread I started a while back concerning the damage free roaming cats cause and what should be done about it. I took a lot of heat from many of the members,some of them are actually on this thread right now. If you ownt a cat and if you are attached to it and care about it,then keep it in your house so that others do not have to have the intrusion of it in there yards. If something bad were to happen to such a free roaming cat ,owners of such cats should realize that it would not have happened if it were kept inside under there supervision. Free roaming cats do tremendous damgae to small wildife such as rabbits,squirells,birds and other animals they can kill or mame. The addition of them roaming free also adds another vector for rabies and other disease. Keep the cats inside,or risk there well being,its that simple.
    Pardone the spelling,sausage fingers and little keyboards .