· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Heres for your tank and making it all pretty with your substrate and luck with cycling it  :) Sorry for misunderstanding!!! - CassieLEO   

Question shrimps eating moss

0 Not allowed!
    Ive read that the Amano shrimps dont usually eat moss but they eat the algae of it or the tender shoots from the fronds.
    But they have not only eaten but stripped my Java Moss and Willow Moss from the driftwoods.
    Is there anyway to prevent this because Moss is too expensive to be fed as food to them
    Should I feed them algae flakes seperately ?
    What about cucumber ? Will this rot and pollute my water ?
    Thanks

Tank 1 : 18.7 G Planted 100% Flourite : Amano Shrimps, Red Cherry Shrimps, Endlers. Guppies.
    Tank 2: 8.4 G : Planted Tank Mix of Flourite and Azoo Plant Grower. 8 Danios, Amanos (Plant Propagation Tank)
    Tank 3 : 8.4 G : Mix of Flourite and Azoo Plant Grower.6 Slender Rasboras
    Weekly Liquid Dosing of Nitrate, Potassium, Phosphate, Magnesium, CSM+B and Iron Nutrients for Plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC Tank! - Brookfish   Cause my one little fish was lonely - dragoonwoman   Couldn't find any horse gift for you except a seahorse! lol - Blu-ray   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dragoonwoman   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes to the algae wafers and veggies! Shrimp need LOTS of vegetable matter and as you found out, will eat moss tips and any other tender growth if they can't find enough algae or other food.

I give mine a couple sinking veggie pellets or a pinch of algae-based flake food every evening. The shrimp are all over the food within a minute (LITERALLY) and there usually isn't anything left the next morning.

If you want to put fresh veggies in the tank - blanch them first! That means, dip them into boiling water for 15 - 30 seconds to very slightly cook them. You can also microwave them for about the same time and get the same results. Let them cool before adding to the tank, and remove them after a few hours so they don't pollute.

Cucumber, spinach (high in calcium for their shells), lettuce, broccoli, even asparagus (I use the tough ends that are usually tossed but split them open before adding to the tank). I think there are a few threads here that list other options. Frozen veggies work as well as fresh - thaw them out first.

Your shrimp will thank you and so will the plants!
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Heres for your tank and making it all pretty with your substrate and luck with cycling it  :) Sorry for misunderstanding!!! - CassieLEO   

0 Not allowed!
    Thankyou Dragoon Woman. That was helpful.
    Cheers

Tank 1 : 18.7 G Planted 100% Flourite : Amano Shrimps, Red Cherry Shrimps, Endlers. Guppies.
    Tank 2: 8.4 G : Planted Tank Mix of Flourite and Azoo Plant Grower. 8 Danios, Amanos (Plant Propagation Tank)
    Tank 3 : 8.4 G : Mix of Flourite and Azoo Plant Grower.6 Slender Rasboras
    Weekly Liquid Dosing of Nitrate, Potassium, Phosphate, Magnesium, CSM+B and Iron Nutrients for Plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You don't leave it long enough to rot. One day is plenty for veggies. Pellets they will eat until gone.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    It does amaze me how quickly the RCS find the pellets, flakes, or waffers I put into the tank. One minute the front of the tank shows maybe 5 shrimp and a few minutes later there are over 50 of them grazing like little miners.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.