· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Err.. no. Sorry it's not. This is way too revolutionary for a classic dutch style. What it is however is a nice and modern twist on it that's very healthy and a pleasure to look at.

What's the stuff back right? Like the look of that.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks firefly I don't believe I have intense enough lighting to do the tight groupings that are common in dutch-style tanks, nor do I have the patience to keep it that organized lol. I just kind of went with a shotgun approach in which I more or less just tossed all the plants in the tank and then moved them around when I thought they'd be better somewhere else. Not exactly very technical lol.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    What's the stuff back right? Like the look of that.
    If you're talking about the broad-leafed plant in the back right, that's Amazon Sword. This plant grew like crazy in my previous setup and it seems to be doing it again now.

0 Not allowed!
    Err.. no. Sorry it's not. This is way too revolutionary for a classic dutch style.
    Woah ok. To me it reminds me of it. Apologies.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    |Not necessary. I grew up with classical dutch and after a while it gets stuffy. I much prefer the wilder looks of arrangments like this.

Dutch style has an approach like the borders in a formal english garden.

Quote Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
    If you're talking about the broad-leafed plant in the back right, that's Amazon Sword. This plant grew like crazy in my previous setup and it seems to be doing it again now.

Must be one of the big ones then.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Must be one of the big ones then.
    You can get a better look at it in my original post. The one in my current setup is the same one from my previous setup. It was in horrible condition so I had to pull off most of the leaves which is why it was so small again when I set this tank up again. This plant was sending off ridiculous runners. Here's a couple runners with probably 20 plantlets growing off of them that grew to six inches or so before I finally pulled them out of the tank:

P1030015.jpg

And here's a top view of the right half of the tank when I got lazy and went a while without trimming:

P1030133.jpg
    Last edited by funkman262; 03-04-2013 at 04:09 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've continued getting great growth in my plants and I'm having to trim the background plants every few days because they keep reaching the surface. But... I've been running my lights on an extended schedule and lately the tank's been receiving a lot of sunlight because our windows have been completely open and now I'm dealing with green water The same thing happened to my last setup a little over a month in and I bought a UV sterilizer to take care of it. I went ahead and dug that out of storage and have it running in the tank now so it should clear up soon. I've also gone back to my normal lighting schedule of 4 on, 2 off, 4 on. I'll post an updated pic once it clears up.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, you've obviously got a lot of nutrients otherwise your plants wouldn't do so well. So not surprising the green water, hope it clears up.

If you can be bothered... any of those runners would soon be a healthy plant. Perhaps sell on ebay or here or even give away for postage only?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, I know I have a lot of nutrients in my tank but the key is to keep nutrients, light and CO2 balanced and my lights were clearly out of balance. When this happened to me the first time and I added the UV sterilizer until it cleared, it never came back.

As far as offering up plants, I'm definitely planning on doing so but it's still very cold here right now and I'd be worried about shipping them out. Also, my tank is still young (just over 2 months) and not as heavily planted as I'd like but It should be ready by the time the weather warms up.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank has already cleared up. It probably didn't take very long because I caught it early. I don't expect it to happen again with my current lighting schedule. I need to do some trimming tomorrow if I get a chance after work.

Day 66:
    IMG_0484.jpg