· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

Question Overgrowing corals...

0 Not allowed!
    How do you control them?
    Does Joes Juice or Aiptaisia X work on other corals?

I had to remove some blue shrooms today - they were making a bid for world-tank domination - and I'd sure like another way of removing them other than trying to scrape them off the rock.
    20gal long planted community

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have no idea if Joes Juice works on them or not. Scraping them off the rock may not work because the little bits left may turn inot new shrooms. I use Kalkwasser paste on aiptasia and have been succesful killing unwanted mushrooms with it as well. Also other soft polyps I didn't want. Another option is some superglue gel over them or IC gel.

0 Not allowed!
    WOW, your tank must be doing great.

Sounds like a good problem to have

The only time I've removed a coral from a rock, I scrapped it off the rock. I kind off scrapped the rock rather than the coral
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Mushrooms are pretty indestructible. I've got one that irritates my sunset monti that I scrape off every month or so and it grows back in short time, since its so close to the sunset I can't use any chemicals, but every time I scrape it, the sunset grows over it more and more, lol. Some day soon it will completely cover it.

As far as killing soft coral, I haven't really found anything that works too well other then killing the rock. When I had a 29 gallon I had a bad outbreak of clove polyps and I tried joes juice, kalkpaste and even lemon juice, and neither would kill them. When we upgraded to the 75 I just put the rocks with the clove polyps near our BTA and that eventually killed all of them

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    @gem - yeah, I know, thats why I was asking about alternative means. Its pretty much impossible to get all the goo off live rock, its porousity and the slime factor guarantees that some will remain on the rock.

@Cliff - well, mushrooms aren't hard to grow, lol. Nothing else in my tank is doing as well. My Pulsing Xenia seems to be dying, not sure why. It declined while I was away on vacation but I hoped now I was back it would make a come back, but it's not. :(

@lab - lol, if I'd known a BTA was the surefire way of killing shrooms I mighta kept mine!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus 
    Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie 
    Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    DISCLAIMER: This is coming from a TOTAL SW newb but: Has anyone ever tried painting over the unwanted corals or aptaisia with aquarium safe paints? Seems to me that would suffocate the little buggers and be really easy to scrape off after treatment.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai
    @Cliff - well, mushrooms aren't hard to grow, lol. Nothing else in my tank is doing as well. My Pulsing Xenia seems to be dying, not sure why. It declined while I was away on vacation but I hoped now I was back it would make a come back, but it's not. :(

I've always had the same problem with Pulsing Xenia. Can't seem to keep it. Everyone else I know can't seem to get rid of it. Wish I could say that I have nailed down why, in my case, it died.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz
    ...Has anyone ever tried painting over the unwanted corals or aptaisia with aquarium safe paints?
    It wasn't paint but I had success at getting rid of an aiptasia and a group of colonial hydroids by gratuitously dabbing clear coral fragging gel (cyanoacrylate, essentially the gel version of super glue) on them and adjacent crevices. Permanently entombing and eradicating them.

I left the hardened gel where it was and didn't pull it off (eventually becoming covered by coraline algae and other corals in some cases).
    Last edited by kaybee; 04-28-2011 at 01:53 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    lol I know its not the same, but the thought of purposely putting anything with "cyano" in it's name in my tank gives me the willies.

I'll keep these ideas in mind when next the shrooms begin to take over...

thanks all