· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Mollies losing color, becoming transparent

0 Not allowed!
    I have three gold dust mollies that when purchased had vibrant colors and completely opaque fins and bodies. Over the course of about 3 months, they have been losing their color so that now their fins are nearly transparent and their spines and stomachs are visible through their bodies. They otherwise seem healthy. I feed them flake food and spirulina algae disks and occasionally green vegetables. Any ideas on why this has happened and how to get their color back? They looked a lot better before.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice discus - Lady Hobbs   Excellent researching! - Rue   For Your Friendship & Help - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    I think the food you are giving them isn't good. Try, NLS! (New Life Spectrum)
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    How often do you do your water changes. Sound a stress related problem to me and clean water can solve many problems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice discus - Lady Hobbs   Excellent researching! - Rue   For Your Friendship & Help - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    How often do you do your water changes. Sound a stress related problem to me and clean water can solve many problems.
    Water changes are important too. You need to do water changes atleast weekly! The more the better. But, if they dont look stressed or anything, then this might all be normal.
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Buy another angelfish - hobbs   just want to say i love u - paulie   A forum treasure - hobbs   here's some ice cream.  i couldn't find any snow on the list.  maybe you'll get a blizzard now, huh?  lol - jeffs99dime   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~LOL - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - PauliesAquaQueen   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - PauliesAquaQueen   Gay and Lesbian Pride - **AquaQueen**   

0 Not allowed!
    I was told by a few people that the Tetra-Color Flakes & granules are good for bringing out a fishes true color. I have been using that among a variety of plankton, shrimp & krill and my fish have some nice color. But I would start with a water change and try and pin-point why it happened to prevent this in the future, then start to fix the color fading. Just My opinion tho.
    Bonnie & the Gang

Keep your Arms Wet and your Fingers Pruned

Check out my Photo's of all my fish and tanks. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/Boo222_photos/

Where Bird Lovers Gather
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Spirulina enhanced flakes are great for vegetarian fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I find nutrafin color enhancing flakes do quite well. but I have a similar symptom with one of my platies, her colour is a lot more muted now and yeah, semi transparent towards the tail. I assumed it's related to her being picked on by a particular male
    20g High - Planted Livebearer
    5g - Empty
    1g Betta Cube - Empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think if you do more water changes and feed them a different kind of food they will look beter.
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good Luck With Your Betta, Your Doing Great! :) - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    I've been doing water changes every other day and am encountering this problem. I have 2 gold mollies, 1 red platy, 1 betta and 2 albino cories in my tank. Both gold mollies starting losing color and it looks like the platy is too slightly, or so it seems. I've been using Tetra Algae and Tetra Flakes. The pH ranges between 6.6 and 7.2 from what I can tell (very tough with the colors) and the ammonia level has been pretty solid lately. One starting turning whitish on his bottom and top and the other guy is now losing color steadily. The betta is thriving and the other cory seems to be doing well (the other got popeye and is gone.) Not sure what is happening but I'm encountering similar and it's something else I can't identify.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    hi i just started with this website. have you come up with anything new on Mollies losing color. i have been breeding panda lyretails mollies and the older one lose their color and die. not old enough for old age. under 1 or 2 years old. Much appreciated