· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default AeonFlame's 100g journal

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I've finally decided to get around to starting a journal for my new tank. It was a rough start, since I initially planned to be finished almost a month ago. There were a few setbacks along the way. Firstly, the guy who built the tank drilled a too small hole for the overflow as you can see here

It was meant to be a 1 1/4" hole to accept a 1" fitting. That would have drained about 600 gph which was ideal for the return pump I bought. It took some brainstorming and I had to bounce my ideas off you guys but I finally decided on attaching a 2" pvc flange to the bottom of the tank around the hole. I used clearweld epoxy for this, since the bond strength is touted as 2000 pounds. I would be satisfied to get quarter of that.

The second setback was the stand. I built the stand for my 70 gallon by myself out of lumber, but I didn't trust my carpentry skills to make a level 6' stand. Thus, I decided to have one welded using 1.5" 1.8 mm SHS steel. The fabricator I went to was recommended to me by a friend. It took the guy two weeks just to start the thing and another 4 days to finish it. When I got it home and looked at it, the middle was higher than the both ends by a good 1/4 ". Now, I explained to him several times how important it was for it to be level. Still, he gave me a bit of a runaround before he picked it back up to get it fixed. After that, It took another week before he was finished. It wasnt even primed when I picked it up... I decided to do that myself since I couldnt wait another day.

Finally I could get started! heres a photo of the tank before I did anything with it..

I spraypainted the background black, and moved everything inside. Then I plumbed the whole thing and set up the sump to get this. Of course there had to be another setback and this time it was self inflicted. The return plumbing was working fine and then I just HAD to shorten the hose by a couple inches. This of course, was an inch too short. I had to move the whole thing to the other side of the tank till I got a replacement hose the next day. Not really a big deal, but annoying nonetheless.

Last edited by Aeonflame; 04-17-2011 at 03:47 AM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like you are off to a great start

I'm looking forward to your up-dates Aeonflame.

This is going to be a great set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    For those wondering, I used pot scrubbies as media. They have a lot of surface area and are cheap. The wet/dry trickle filter was made out of laundry baskets I bought at the dollar store. The sump itself is a plastic storage bin. Yup, I really cheaped out on this one. Forgive the crappy photos, but I was too lazy to get my camera out.

Heres a proper photo of it, all set up

The pump I use is a catalina 3000 rated for around 900 gph which was recommended by Crispy.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Finally! Yesterday I bought sand, a lighting fixture, and eggcrate to cover the tank. I didn't bother washing the sand since Im lazy and water changes will get it all eventually. I just poured it all in and watched my clean water get all murky. Oh well.

Update... Ok, so its now a day later and the water has mostly cleared up.. and without a single water change! Time to add driftwood!
    <-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, here it is. My first arrangement. Since this will be a plant hating cichlid tank, Im afraid I'm limited to java fern and mosses. To be added after cycling.

I like the ledge this piece creates.

I have been soaking this piece for 8 months now!! It finally decided to sink a few weeks ago... Just in time. This is the best driftwood I've ever found. Im thinking of using java fern to finish the tree look. There are even hollow areas at the top that can be planted in.

<-- Click for journals

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Wow Aeon, Inovative to say the least!! Very cool and I am thinking economical... Looking forward to see your progress and may steal some of your ideas for future projects!!! Ohh, and LOL about the sand!! Pure logic...
    Last edited by Surfdog; 04-17-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

0 Not allowed!
    This is another interesting piece at the bottom

Thanks to Cliff, 850R and Crispy for all the help with this project
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 04-17-2011 at 04:16 AM.
    <-- Click for journals

0 Not allowed!
    WOW, great looking driftwood. That tank is going to look outstanding Aeonflame.

and BTW, after reading this, I want a wet/dry sump now.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good so far! What sort of plant-hating cichlids are you going to stock?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What a truely amazing tank! I can't wait to see your updates!