· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy, Happy new year - SeaLady   Happy Birthday Kido...better late than never :-) - Taurus   Happy belated Birthday, how come nobody knew? - steeler58   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I get you now, here's what I do....if you already have an established tank get either a sponge filter or an appropriate size filter for your qt tank, set this filter up on your main tank and let it run for about 6 weeks to establish a good base of beneficial bacteria.
    The day before you're going to get your new fish to be quarantined set up your qt tank with fresh water, prime, heater & air stone then add the filter that has been running in your main tank. You now have a cycled qt tank.
    If you want, you can also do this several days before you get your new fish, just be sure to add pure ammonia (a few drops daily) to keep the bb alive, just make sure to do a large water change the day before adding the new fish then continue to check your parameters daily & perform water changes during the qt period.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    I have just finished cycling my QT tank, which i will use to quarantine my next batch of fish. The first batch I added I did not quarantine (i know, I know...), but now that my display tank is up and running I decided to quarantine my new fish to avoid problems in my display tank.

When i added my first batch I treated them wit praziPro, and did not use Metro+. I figured since I am doing the full QT might as well follow all the instructions, but I have a question about meds. The post says to do the following

Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    *1st Day-add new fish and seeded filter cartridge. Dose Prazi at full strength and Metro at 1/2 strength
    *3rd-4th Day-50% WC 1/4 dose of Prazi, 1/4 Dose of Metro
    *7th Day-50% WC...no new medications
    *10th Day-50%WC...no new medications
    *12-13th Day-50%WC...no new medications, add carbon to suck up any trace meds

On the second bullet, does this mean 50% WC 1/4 dose of Prazi, 1/4 Dose of Metro on BOTH day 3 AND day 4, or does it mean 50% WC 1/4 dose of Prazi, 1/4 Dose of Metro on EITHER day 3 OR day 4?

Or should I just dose Prazi and not use Metro? My Endlers come from a breeder in FL. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    I have just finished cycling my QT tank, which i will use to quarantine my next batch of fish. The first batch I added I did not quarantine (i know, I know...), but now that my display tank is up and running I decided to quarantine my new fish to avoid problems in my display tank.

When i added my first batch I treated them wit praziPro, and did not use Metro+. I figured since I am doing the full QT might as well follow all the instructions, but I have a question about meds. The post says to do the following

On the second bullet, does this mean 50% WC 1/4 dose of Prazi, 1/4 Dose of Metro on BOTH day 3 AND day 4, or does it mean 50% WC 1/4 dose of Prazi, 1/4 Dose of Metro on EITHER day 3 OR day 4?

Or should I just dose Prazi and not use Metro? My Endlers come from a breeder in FL. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I would go the simpler route and use Tetra Parasite Guard and follow the instructions for full dosage. Then I would wait a couple of weeks and dose with the full dose of Prazipro.

Scaleless fish would be dosed at half the dosage of Tetra Parasite Guard.

A full scale of prevention of parasites should also include levamisole treatment (not at the same time as the other medications).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Rocksor,

I already have prazi and metro on hand, so is there a big advantage to using the Tetra instead of the Metro+/Prazi combination?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Just ease of use and a simple set of directions for both medication.

I do not reduce the dosage on a medication in general, unless I do a water change like 50%, and then I re-dose at 50% of the medication to bring it up back to full dosage while at the same time paying particular attention to the manufacturer's instructions.

Manufacturer's instructions are very important, and one's manufacturers instructions will vary depending on the dosage they put into their medication. For instance, Metro+ is re-dosed every day with a water change prior to re-dosing. Seachem Metroplex is re-dosed every 48 hours.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 09-29-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Got it -- thanks for the info. Also, I tried looking for levamisole, it doesn't seem to be readily available?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_...gas=levamisole (90% levamisole)

You have to add about 1g/100g of water to get ~2ppm concentration

It's more way more expensive here, but it's 99% levamisole.

http://subquaria.com/Levamisole-HCl-Powder

Here's the dosing instructions:

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari...ydrochloride-1

You can add with Prazipro (similar to Avitrol Plus)

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons: