· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by philosofool
    Could someone please explain how to seed the quaranteen tank with media from another cycled tank?
    See here Or Here for more on this topic.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For my QT HOBs I also give them a rinse in a bleach solution, I usually just rob a piece of AC sponge from one of my established tanks filters and either give it a good soak in the 10% solution or trash it.
    What is HOB and AC sponge? Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Hang On Back filters and media from an AquaClear filter
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would also like to add my thanks as I will also be establishing a QT tank out of my old one (once I repair it!), and this answers a lot of questions I had about it.
    - 40 liter (10 gallon): black gravel, mopani wood, thin leaved java fern, java moss, and six very happy neon tetras
    - 5.7 gallon (21.7 litre) glass hex: currently empty and to be repaired (probably will become a hospital tank)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all for the compliments on the article, it does really mean a lot
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    The information on this forum is absolutely priceless for beginners, like myself. Thank you so much for the information. When I'm ready to buy new fish, I'm going to buy a QT, probably just 5gal for smaller fish.

Do you think that should be an ok size for adding 1-3 fish at a time (for a 10gal display)?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If your main tank is a 10 gallon and you are stocking it wisely, then a 5 gallon is plenty of size for QT for those fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    If your main tank is a 10 gallon and you are stocking it wisely, then a 5 gallon is plenty of size for QT for those fish.
    Thanks Trillianne. I was actually just reading about drip acclimation in another thread. Is quarantining new fish still the "chosen" method, or is drip aclimation the better bet?

Do you drip acclimate your fish before adding them to the QT tank, and then transfer them to the display tank, or can you bypass drip acclimation, put your fish into the QT tank and then transfer them to the display tank?

Maybe I'm just overloading my head with too much info at once. ;P

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Drip Acclimation and QT do not serve the same purpose.

Drip acclimation is how you adjust the water conditions from the store to your home. You would use that from the bag from the store to your home tank (hopefully a QT).

QT is used to ensure that illnesses do not make it to your main tank. Its the same thing as when a doctor decides that just to be safe he's checking you in for an overnight stay.

Your home water conditions will generally be the same (same ph, same mineral content, etc) so once you've acclimated your fish to one of your home's tanks you do not need to repeat it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne
    Drip Acclimation and QT do not serve the same purpose.

Drip acclimation is how you adjust the water conditions from the store to your home. You would use that from the bag from the store to your home tank (hopefully a QT).

QT is used to ensure that illnesses do not make it to your main tank. Its the same thing as when a doctor decides that just to be safe he's checking you in for an overnight stay.

Your home water conditions will generally be the same (same ph, same mineral content, etc) so once you've acclimated your fish to one of your home's tanks you do not need to repeat it.
    Thanks Trillianne, that clarifies it. =]