· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

1. Default What is this?

0 Not allowed!
    I just noticed something growing on my center piece. I am still fish less cycling and I washed everything before I put it in. It has been cycling for 10 days so far. Whatever it is it looks like snot or maybe a jellyfish consistency.

0 Not allowed!
    Driftwood snot, It is harmless and will eventually go away or you can attempt to pick it out.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think it is fake driftwood but I may be wrong. It felt like a composite material.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just looked and it says it is a poly resin. Does that matter?

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, Now I am not certain it is the same stuff. I don't have any fake decor so I am at a bit of a loss.

Somebody who knows will be along though.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Hmm, Now I am not certain it is the same stuff. I don't have any fake decor so I am at a bit of a loss.

Somebody who knows will be along though.

850, I think you are correct, when I first set up my tank, I had this stuff around my real driftwood, and it also was on my fake plants.

I dont know the scientific explanation of this, but it could be just chemicals/bacteria/whatever else happens at the start of a tank cycling to cause this *snot*

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Should I leave it in?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I say what 850R said-try to pick it out and see what happens, or use a cup to try and capture it. When I tried to grab mine-it just dissolved away and that was the end of it. Just keep an eye on your decorations, worst case scenario would be they weren't made correctly for the tank. but that is rare. (if you bought them and they were for an aquarium)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Everything came from Petsmart. I can leave it or remove it. I just don't know if it is beneficial, detrimental or neither. It doesn't bother me. I'm just waiting on the tank to cycle.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you *should* be fine if it came from the aquatics section.
    I just know sometimes people get mixed up on some of the driftwood available for snake tanks and fish tanks, or random shoppers put things in other locations etc. it could be a gamble, but I think you are fine.

I'd leave it and it'll go away in some time-that stuff is harmless.

850R has the right mindset for all this!