· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I suppose I will start this off with I am new to the idea of quarantine tanks as cliff probably knows I've never heard of a sponge filter so I looked it up and is it really just a inexpensive sponge filter? They were about $10 on amazon. Could I just as well buy a complete set up like a 10/20 gallon used or from walmart and use the HOB the back filter? Would you quarantine some fish and not others? Like special needs fish like i.e. my sailfin blenny that has been at the petco for over a month and now I have to figure out how and what to feed him in my tank. What if the fish are very lively at the store? Should those fish be quarantined? I know nothing about diseased fish. But my assumption would be that if they are lively and look healthy then.... I think I answered my own question. I chose to leave that last part for other newbies that come by this thread.

What about buying two different fish at the same time? ok to quarantine them at the same time? Thanks again cliff for being so prompt with this forum.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    You should always QT fish regardless of how well they look at the store. Below is a good example of why

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=81146

Don't QT a lot of fish at once either. If you have a few fish in a small QT tank then you could get aggression issues and even more problems resulting from that. I've always liked using a sponge filter for my marine QT tank. I just have one running in one of my sumps 24/7 so it is there when/if I need it. It's also a little easier to clean and maintain than a normal filter (at least for me
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    You should always QT fish regardless of how well they look at the store. Below is a good example of why

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=81146

Don't QT a lot of fish at once either. If you have a few fish in a small QT tank then you could get aggression issues and even more problems resulting from that. I've always liked using a sponge filter for my marine QT tank. I just have one running in one of my sumps 24/7 so it is there when/if I need it. It's also a little easier to clean and maintain than a normal filter (at least for me
    If you're gonna do things, might as well do them right. I think while I am waiting for my tank to get more established and figure out if I want to keep the wet dry trickle filter, I'm gonna try to pick up a lil ten gallon tank for quarantine. Do you quarantine corals too? and would it be ok to quarantine two different fish with a divider?
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    I do not QT corals, but I use the below coral treatment while acclimate the corals to the tank.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/revi...ct=430&cat=500

How many fish you could put in a 10 gallon QT tank really depends on the size of the fish and the size of your filtration. If they are 1" or smaller, I would think a few would be OK. The same rules for fish compatibility for your main tank would equally apply in your QT tank.

Just make sure you have something in there for them to hide in/behind
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds good. Thanks again for the help
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    I may not have explained myself very well in my last post. I trip acclimate my corals in the bag, just as you would for fish. I use the coral treatment in the bag, I do not add it to the tank. I usually add the coral treatment in the bag for the last 5 minutes they are in the bag just before taking the corals out and adding them to the tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My buddy just gave me a 5 gallon tank with all the fixings for free, if buying small fish, do you think this tanks is to small to use to quarantine new fish for a few weeks? after all I'm not going to keep anything in it but the fish. Would it be a bad idea to put a small live rock in there along with the filter? I figured for disease purposes it would, but I dont know anything about fish diseases.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you are not QTing more than 2 or 3 fish, and they are smaller, you should be fine. I've QT'd 3 cardinals in 10 gallon for 3 weeks before and it worked out OK for them.

Using rock in a QT tank can be risky. If get or treat a disease in the QT tank with some live rock in there, you really can't put that rock back in the main tank without risking harm to your corals.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    As long as you are not QTing more than 2 or 3 fish, and they are smaller, you should be fine. I've QT'd 3 cardinals in 10 gallon for 3 weeks before and it worked out OK for them.

Using rock in a QT tank can be risky. If get or treat a disease in the QT tank with some live rock in there, you really can't put that rock back in the main tank without risking harm to your corals.

they'd more and likely be small fish. Not even sure what is next on the list. I'm just worried about creating a cycle but If just transfering the filter works then I should be ok.
    72 gallon saltwater

0 Not allowed!
    Yes that will work fine

I now always run a small sponge filter in one of my sumps to keep it seeded. If I need it I just move it into the QT tank and I have a instantly cycled tank.

You could do the same thing with a sponge filter hidden behind some rocks in your display tank. If I use meds in the QT tank, I won;t put the sponge filter back in the sump tho. I'll replace the sponge instead.