· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Homemade styrofoam decor? Sealing finished product?

0 Not allowed!
    For a long time I've been fascinated by what this guy builds for lizards. (I'll give a link below) He uses stryrofoam for structure, loctite power grab or liquid nails to hold it together, grout in multiple layers, acrylic paint and then seals it with an acrylic sealer. I was wondering if I could use this (these) methods to build something for an aquarium? Maybe not liquid nails for gluing it together, but aquarium safe silicone. Then once it's constructed, what could be used to seal it? Would the acrylic sealer work or is there something different I could/should use? I guess I should also ask if this would work with blue styrofoam, whereas he uses the beaded white styrofoam.

Here's a sample of the work he does:

Check out his other videos to completely understand what he makes and does.
    25g freshwater - 1 red tail black shark - 1 bristlenose pleco - 3 tiger barbs - 1 green tiger barb - 2 corys

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure about the blue styro but if you Google [Or youtube] 'DIY aquarium background', You will find tons of em.

Most are variations of a carved concrete covered Styrofoam theme.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Not sure about the blue styro but if you Google [Or youtube] 'DIY aquarium background', You will find tons of em.

Most are variations of a carved concrete covered Styrofoam theme.
    Yup - very aware of the styrofoam backgrounds with concrete. I can't remember if you have to seal them or not with the concrete underneath?
    25g freshwater - 1 red tail black shark - 1 bristlenose pleco - 3 tiger barbs - 1 green tiger barb - 2 corys

0 Not allowed!
    Um,

I worded that badly lol. [The below may be what you meant also]

The concrete is more like a thin layer of paint over the top of carved styrofoam to make it look more 'rock like'.

I don't think they are sealed per say, My understanding is that after the concrete cures it then needs to be submerged & rinsed multiple times [100% WC] over the course of days or even a few weeks to insure that it won't change the waters ph or leach any evil badness into the tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Um,

I worded that badly lol. [The below may be what you meant also]

The concrete is more like a thin layer of paint over the top of carved styrofoam to make it look more 'rock like'.

I don't think they are sealed per say, My understanding is that after the concrete cures it then needs to be submerged & rinsed multiple times [100% WC] over the course of days or even a few weeks to insure that it won't change the waters ph or leach any evil badness into the tank.

Ahh yes, I remember that now too. So maybe I should just go that route, eh? Seems to be less painful, easier, cheaper, and sealing isn't an issue..

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you take a look at my 140g build thread you will see I havw done a DIY background using styrofoam as well. I just coated it in quickrete in many layers and quickrete dye colours to get the look I wanted. Once done I soaked it in the tank itself. Did WC's every 2-3days till the hardness and PH of the water showed reasonable levels for fish. IMO a lot simpler than using acrylic and then sealing. But of course this method gives you more design options than my method
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!