· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default help identifying illness (I searched)

0 Not allowed!
    I have a small 5g community tank with rasbora hengli and some shrimp. I started with six fish, but one had some sort of spinal deformity, so I culled it. (ice water, and I'm a little concerned that this fish had TB) I added two new fish to keep the others company. One of the two seems happy and healthy, but the other is behaving strangely. It swims differently than the other fish, and I've seen it allow itself to sink to the bottom of the tank while belly-up or sideways. It'll lay on the bottom for a moment, and then swim away. Of course its coloration isn't very good, but it also has a white spot on its side toward the front of its black stripe that looks peculiar to me. It doesn't look like Ich, and the spot isn't round, it's maybe 3 mm long and 1 mm wide. I've included several photos that I hope illustrate the spot, at least. I also think the fish looks a little bloated, fwiw. Oh, and it seems to swim at more of an incline than the other fish, tail down, head up, maybe 20-30 deg.

I'd really appreciate help with this. Should I just cull this fish or does it have an illness it can transfer to the others? I only have the one tank, so I can't quarantine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevew; 07-17-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    First, just a tip on euthanization of fish. More humane to put the fish in a cup of tank water and place the cup in the freezer. Gradual lowering of the temp is far less stressful. Think of it this way--would you want to die by someone slowly lowering your core body temperature or by someone throwing you in the water at the arctic circle?

This may be swim bladder disease, but not so sure about the white streak.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I researched euthanasia methods and the ice water technique is regarded by at least some people as appropriately humane. The fish I killed died nearly instantly, and certainly in less than a second. Do you think the freezer method is really better? That's tangential to my original question, though. I assure you that I intend to be humane.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I killed it. This morning I noticed that the sick fish was missing one of its pelvic fins, probably removed by his "friends." I noticed that its underbelly in the pelvic-anal area was red and swollen, possibly an open sore. I'm guessing that suggests a bacterial infection.

Edit: I forgot to add that the poor fishie was bloated as well - scales sticking out.
    Last edited by stevew; 07-18-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

kickme and knock some sense into me, yeah right.lol - rollie   Ok, well here goes nothing *kicks sense into rollie*   :P - Drumachine09   for being a good freind with help and advice along with RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    i would say this fish is egg bound. that white spot i am not sure.

but it should not be there.

it may pay to put her to sleep.

i see the lot of fish with spinal deformity.

this may be what wrong with her. but not sure.
    let the bells rings and the horns blow, for i am back.lol

http://www.freewebs.com/rolliefish

check it out if you want to.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    100 gallon
    75 gallon
    50 some set up, now.
    over 50 13 1/2 gallon tanks

in all have over 200 tanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew
    I researched euthanasia methods and the ice water technique is regarded by at least some people as appropriately humane. The fish I killed died nearly instantly, and certainly in less than a second. Do you think the freezer method is really better? That's tangential to my original question, though. I assure you that I intend to be humane.
    I am quite sure you were being humane. I did mention swim bladder disease as a possibility, but I guess now we won't know for sure. Sorry you lost your fish.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Mothers Day! - Drumachine09   Here's a little something for standing up and doing what you think is right! - RobbieG   Congrats On Your New Addition! :) - MeganL3985   for stuff! - Nick_Pavlovski   TOTM 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SkarloeysMom   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew
    Well, I killed it. This morning I noticed that the sick fish was missing one of its pelvic fins, probably removed by his "friends." I noticed that its underbelly in the pelvic-anal area was red and swollen, possibly an open sore. I'm guessing that suggests a bacterial infection.
    Sorry you had to do that. Its such a hard thing to have to do. I've had to put down a fish a while back and I used the ice water method too. I could not believe how quick the death was. It couldn't have been more than a second. I feel that quick death has got to be the most humane way. Sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by SkarloeysMom; 07-18-2007 at 12:51 AM.
    My tank:
    20g long - 8 Trigonostigma heteromorpha, 2 Corydoras brevirostris, 2 Corydoras agassizii, 1 Corydoras trilineatus named Julian

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Putting down any pet is horrible, and only we crazy fish people understand that fish are pets, too!

I guess the shock to their system is more than they can handle for more than a second.

I have also heard of a method of euthanization using oil and alcohol, but I don't remember what that was all about. Seemed a little too complicated to me.
    8 tanks running now:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent supporter! Great posts! - Rue   good poster/nice guy - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help here - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the research! - Nick_Pavlovski   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RobbieG   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you had to go through all that - hope things start looking up!
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieG
    Sorry you had to go through all that - hope things start looking up!
    Me too. I really want the rest of my fish to stay healthy. I'd hate to think that I have TB or some other bacterial/viral illness contaminating my tank. My shrimp are happy and healthy, though. I have a handful of cherries and ghosts and both species are breeding, so they must think the water is ok. In fact, right now I have 4 mm cherry shrimp fry. So cute.

Maybe I'll go out and buy some Tea Tree oil as a prophylactic, assuming it's ok for inverts.