· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default 5 Gal NANO Plans

0 Not allowed!
    I think I am going to delve into salt water.

I found a local store that only deals in marine supplies and fish. I went in to do some trading with him on some light equipment I had since it was for salt water and I have fresh.

He was willing to trade me for a pico tank (full set up), water, sand, rock, mushrooms, and some inverts for 50.00 and my equipment. I did not do it. I wanted to check with you guys first.

While I was there I talked to this guy that told me he saw a setup with 2 small tanks one being a sump. The guy made a custom cabinet for it.

I did a little research and came up with the below drawing.

I would like this to be my summer project.

I think I could get two 5 Gal glass tanks and two glass tops for my equipment on trade now. I might be able to get a pump for the sump also.

I want to have some coral, mushrooms, and shrimp.

Do you think this will work? Also what size pumps and pipe size do you suggest?

If you think this looks like trouble please let me know.

I will continue to read the posts on the forum but wanted to get your thoughts before I jump in.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 20 gal zebra danios/cory cats

1 46 gal bow neon tetras, julii cory cats, albino bristle nose plecos, pristella tetras

Aquarium journal

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=74389

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good idea for the sump, i was about to say you should start w/ a 10g because the extra volume makes it 100 times more forgiving and easier to care for but you already have 10g! The decreased area for animals from your display tank being only 5g will give you an easier to manage bio load
    v^-Kai-^v

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized"
    -Sun Tzu

0 Not allowed!
    I see one serious issue you are going to run into. While the combined volume of your system would be 10gal, the volume of each component will only be 5gal, and the sump will likely only have about 4gal in it. Here's where the major issue is going to come in: evaporation. In a 10gal nano tank with no overflow and no sump, the flow is limited to the tank and limited surface movement. In what you are proposing, you will have a drop from the main tank to the sump, and you will greatly increase your surface movement, and thus greatly increase your evaporation. Now, unless you are prepared to install an auto topoff system in that sump, you are going to be fighting an evaporation battle that is going to be nearly impossible to win. Honestly, I think you would be far better off with a 10gal tank and no sump.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Im going to offer a different opinion. The best advice I can give is to research before you buy anything, And by research I am referring to getting a few good books AND reading the stickys and some tanks journals here on the forum.

Honestly, I would not recommend anything smaller than a 40 gallon breeder for your first tank. It is a lot harder to maintain water parameters in about 8 to 9 gallons of water.

It may seam like a good deal, but Im just concerned your first experience in SW could end up not being a positive one

IMO, I would wait until you have the money for a bigger set-up

Just a concern
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]